Seattle City Council Gender Equity, Safe Communities, New Americans & Education Committee 1/23/19


>>GOOD MORNING. TODAY IS WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 23. IT IS 10:01 AM. THIS IS THE REGULAR MEETING OF THE GENDER EQUITY, THE COMMUNITIES, AMERICANS AND EDUCATION COMMITTEE. I AM CHAIRMAN LORENA GONZALEZ. THERE ARE TWO ITEMS ON THE AGENDA THIS MORNING. WE WILL RECEIVE A BRIEFING FROM THE OFFICE OF EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT ON THE EMERGENCY 911 SYSTEM OUTAGE THAT OCCURRED DECEMBER 27 AND 28, 2018 FOR SENTRY AND LINK CUSTOMERS AND WE WILL HEAR FROM THE OFFICE OF THE INSPECTOR GENERAL WITH THE 2019 PLAN. WE WILL START WITH A PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD. YOU WILL HAVE TWO MINUTES TO PROVIDE PUBLIC TESTIMONY ON THE AGENDA ITEM. WE HAVE ONE PERSON THAT SIGNED UP IN ADVANCE TO PROVIDE US WITH PUBLIC TESTIMONY AND THAT IS ALEX SUMMER AND. >>MY NAME IS ALEX ZIMMERMAN. I WANT TO SPEAK ABOUT THIS NEW DEPARTMENT. I SPOKE WITH THESE PEOPLE FOR THE LAST SIX MONTHS TWICE. THE CONSTITUTION IS VERY UNIQUE AND I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE IT BEFORE. I HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH POLICE WORK MANY TIMES. WE DON’T HAVE A PUBLIC COMMENTS FOR THE POLICE CHIEF. I HAVE SPOKEN WITH THE INSPECTOR GENERAL TWICE. AND I SPOKE WITH THE POLICE COMMISSIONER DOZENS OF TIMES. ALMOST EVERY TIME I CAN WITHOUT TRESPASS. WE HAVE A VERY CRITICAL SITUATION. THE LAST HEARING, BEFORE THIS POLICE CONTRACT, THERE WERE 20 PEOPLE INSIDE. OFFICERS, JUDGES, ANOTHER GOVERNMENT. AND I ASK EVERYBODY HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE. WE HAVE A PUBLIC COMMISSIONER AND WE DON’T HAVE A PUBLIC COMMENT. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE? WE ARE FASCIST WE HAVE THE GESTAPO PRINCIPAL. I CANNOT UNDERSTAND THIS. ONE COMMISSION DOES NOT HAVE PUBLIC COMMENT. STANDUP AMERICA. SPOCK IS THERE ANYONE ELSE THAT WOULD LIKE TO OFFER PUBLIC TESTIMONY THAT MIGHT BE USEFUL. SEEING NO ONE WE WILL CLOSE OUT THE PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD AND I WILL GO AHEAD AND INVITE THOSE FOLKS WHO ARE HERE TO MAKE A PRESENTATION ON THE FIRST AGENDA ITEM TO JOIN US AT THE TABLE. I WILL ASK ROXANA TO READ THE FIRST AGENDA ITEM INTO THE RECORD. >>AGENDA ITEM 1, OFFICE OF INSPECTOR GENERAL TO PRESENT THE 2019 WORKPLAN. GOOD MORNING. SO WE WILL GO AHEAD ENDS DO A QUICK ROUND OF INTRODUCTIONS AND THEN I WILL HAND IT OVER TO YOU FOR THE PRESENTATION. >>CRAIG DOS CENTRAL STAFF. >>A MORNING. LISA JUDGE, INSPECTOR GENERAL. >>AMY TSAI, DEPUTY INSPECTOR GENERAL . GREG, WERE YOU GOING TO BE MAKING ANY INTRODUCTORY REMARKS BEFORE WE GET STARTED? >>I CAN SAY THAT THE OFFICE OF THE INSPECTOR GENERAL WAS PASSED LAST YEAR. WE ARE HERE TO TALK ABOUT A WORKPLAN WHICH IS A REVIEW OF UPCOMING WORK ITEMS INCLUDING THOSE THAT OPA AND CPC HAVE MADE REQUEST FOR AUDITS ON. I WILL LEAVE IT UP THOSE QUICK COMMENTS AND LEAVE THE REST TO INSPECTOR LISA JUDGE TO TALK ABOUT. >>HOLD ON JUST A MINUTE. WE ARE HAVING SOME TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES. BEFORE WE GET STARTED WE WILL GO HEAD AND DEAL WITH THE POWERPOINT PRESENTATION PROJECTION. >>IF WE NEED TO PROCEED WITHOUT IT WE CAN DO THAT. >>I AM SURE WE CAN GET IT FIXED. DID YOU HAVE SOME INTRODUCTORY REMARKS? >>I DO HAVE A FEW. >>WHEN WE GO AHEAD AND DO THAT. >>HARDEN ME? >>WHEN WE GO AHEAD AND DO THAT. >>OKAY. WE ARE VERY EXCITED ABOUT THE PROJECTS THAT WE HAVE COMING UP THIS YEAR. THERE IS PROBABLY NOBODY OUTSIDE OF MY OFFICE THAT KNOWS MORE ABOUT THE OFFICE OF INSPECTOR GENERAL THEN THIS COMMITTEE. I DO HAVE SOME INFORMATION FOR THOSE THAT ARE NOT FAMILIAR. SO I’D BEG YOUR INDULGENCE WHILE WE WORK THROUGH THE FIRST TWO POINTS ON THE POWERPOINT SLIDE. I DON’T KNOW IF YOU WANT TO HOLD QUESTIONS UNTIL AFTER AND I WILL TRY TO BE MINDFUL OF THE CLOCK. IF, IF YOU WANT TO STOP AT CERTAIN SLIDES AND HAVE A DISCUSSION AND ASK QUESTIONS, THAT IS GREAT TOO. >>WE WILL GO AHEAD AND DIG INTO THE PRESENTATION AND IF MYSELF OR COUNCIL MEMBER HERBOLD HAVE QUESTIONS, WE WILL DO THAT. BUT I THINK WE ARE ALSO FINE QUEUING UP QUESTIONS TO THE END OF THE PRESENTATION. >>WE HAVE FINALLY GOTTEN THE OFFICE UP AND RUNNING AND AS YOU CAN SEE WE ARE PART OF THE THREE ACCOUNTABILITY PARTNERS SET UP IN THE LEGISLATION TO PROVIDE REALLY COMPREHENSIVE OVERSIGHT OF THE SEATTLE POLICE DEPARTMENT AND AS A COROLLARY OF THE OFFICE OF POLICE ACCOUNTABILITY. SO WE ARE PROVIDING THE SYSTEMIC REVIEW FOR THE POLICE DEPARTMENT AND THE EFFICACY OF OPA OPERATIONS CONSIDERING INDIVIDUAL INVESTIGATIONS. JUST A LITTLE ASIDE WE HAVE SPENT THE LAST SEVEN OR EIGHT MONTHS REALLY FIGURING OUT HOW TO WORK WITH OUR PARTNERS AND GETTING TO KNOW THEM AND ESTABLISHING GOOD RELATIONSHIPS. THAT IS REALLY ALL I WANT TO SAY ABOUT THE SYSTEM. SO LET’S DIG RIGHT INTO THE OFFICE OF INSPECTOR GENERAL AND OUR PART. WHAT WE HAVE COMMITTED TO DOING IS TO PROVIDE COMPASSIONATE POLICING. WE ARE RELYING ON SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF DATA. WE WORK WITH PARTNERS TO MAKE SURE THAT WE ARE PRIORITIZING AND INFORMING OUR WORK IN A WAY THAT TAKES INTO ACCOUNT IMMUNITY NEEDS AND INTERESTS. SO, JUST A LITTLE BIT ABOUT OFFICE OF INSPECTOR GENERAL. JUST TO BE VERY CLEAR, WE ARE A NEW OFFICE. WE HAVE ONLY BEEN UP AND RUNNING SINCE MAY 2018. AND REALLY OPERATIONAL IN TERMS OF HAVING STAFF SINCE JUNE. SINCE JUNE WE HAVE BEEN ABLE TO ONBOARD SOME VERY IMPRESSIVE FOLKS WITH SOME SKILLS AND ABILITIES THAT I THINK WE WILL BE VERY WELL PUT TOGETHER FOR THE CITY OF SEATTLE. WE HAVE AN ORGANIZATIONAL MODEL THAT MAXIMIZES EVERYONE’S POTENTIAL AND WILL PRODUCE GOOD THINGS FOR THE CITY OF SEATTLE. WE ARE NEW AND WE ARE NEUTRAL. THIS IS A CRITICAL COMPONENT AND WAS REALLY QUITE WELL THOUGHT OUT IN TERMS OF THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE OFFICE, CREATING US AS NEUTRAL AND INDEPENDENT. IT IS CRITICAL FOR US TO CONDUCT AUDITS AND THAT IS THE CENTRAL FUNCTION OF THE OFFICE OF INSPECTOR GENERAL UNDER THE GOVERNMENT ACCEPTED AUDIT STANDARDS. WE HAVE ADOPTED THE GAGAS METHOD WHEN IT COMES TO OUR INSPECTIONS. I CANNOT UNDERSTATE THE IMPORTANCE OF HAVING ACCESS TO INFORMATION, TO DATA, TO PERSONNEL, FACILITIES AND EVERYTHING THAT WE NEED TO GO IN AND DO OIG OPERATIONS. HERE IS OUR ORGANIZATIONAL CHART. IT IS DIVIDED INTO FOUR MAIN CATEGORIES OF FUNCTIONS OF THE OFFICE. LARGELY, SUPERVISED BY DEPUTY INSPECTOR GENERAL AMY TSAI. WE HAVE AN AUDITING FUNCTION, INVESTIGATIONS AS WELL AS POLICY AND DATA AND OPERATIONS. CURRENTLY, OPERATIONS FUNCTIONS ARE BEING HANDLED BY OUR EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT, RITA SANTIAGO. I WOULD LIKE TO GO INTO EACH OF THOSE FUNCTIONS AND TALK SPECIFICALLY ABOUT WHAT THEY ARE DOING AND THEN GET INTO OUR WORK PLAN IMMEDIATELY AFTER THAT. WE HAVE DIVIDED UP OUR AREAS OF WORK INTO THESE BASIC FUNCTIONS. THE FIRST IS THE AUDIT FUNCTION. THAT TENDS TO HAVE MORE OF A HISTORICAL FOCUS ON SPD OPERATIONS. SO WHAT OUR AUDITORS GO IN AND DO IS TO TRY TO DETERMINE WHAT SPD IS DOING AND WHETHER IT IS WORKING AND IF IT IS EFFECTIVE AND EFFICIENT. SO THAT IS PROBABLY THE MEAT AND POTATOES FUNCTION OF ANY INSPECTOR GENERAL OFFICE AND OF HOURS. ONE THING THAT IS A BIT UNIQUE TO US IS THE OPA CLASSIFICATION AND REVIEW FUNCTION. THIS PERSON IS UNDER THE AUSPICES OF OUR AUDIT SECTION BUT THEIR FOCUS IS ON REVIEWING OPA OSSIFICATION AND REVIEWING OPA INVESTIGATIONS TO MAKE SURE THAT CLASSIFICATIONS ARE BEING DONE APPROPRIATELY AND THAT INVESTIGATIONS ARE THOROUGH, TIMELY AND THAT THEY ARE BEING CONDUCT DID IN A MANNER THAT IS EXPECTED BY THE OFFICE OF POLICE ACCOUNTABILITY. THE GREAT THING I WANT TO HIGHLIGHT ABOUT THE OPA POSITION IS THIS IS A TIME THAT ALLOWS FOR FEEDBACK DURING AN INVESTIGATION SO THERE IS A SET OF OUTSIDE EYES LOOKING AT A MISCONDUCT INVESTIGATION AND BEING ABLE TO REDIRECT, COURSE CORRECT THE INVESTIGATION PROCESS BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE AND THE SHIP HAS SAILED IN TERMS OF AN FINDING OF MISCONDUCT. THAT IS CRITICAL. THE FUNCTION OF OUR OFFICE THAT IS PROBABLY MOST NEAR AND DEAR TO OUR HEART IS THE REVIEW AND BEST PRACTICES POLICY OF OUR OFFICE. THAT IS THE CHANCE FOR SPD AND SEATTLE TO MOVE BEYOND STATUS QUO IN TERMS OF PRACTICES AND POLICY AND TO GET OUT THERE AND LOOK AT WHAT IS ON THE HORIZON, POSSIBLE FOR POLICING TO ADVANCE THE PROFESSION AND HELP GIVE OFFICERS ADDITIONAL TOOLS, SKILLS AND ABILITIES TO DELIVER QUALITY SERVICES TO THE PEOPLE OF SEATTLE. FINALLY, AND THIS IS THE FUNCTION OF OUR OFFICE THAT IS STILL IN PROCESS. THIS WILL BE VERY IMPORTANT BE TO ESTABLISH A LOT OF VACATION BETWEEN THE OFFICE OF THE INSPECTOR GENERAL AND THE PUBLIC. I WANTED TO TALK A LITTLE BIT MORE ABOUT OPA CLASSIFICATION AND GIVE YOU A SNAPSHOT OF SOME OF THE WORKLOAD AND HOW THIS SHAKES OUT. I AM NOT SURE IF YOU WANT ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT WHAT CONSTITUTES CLASSIFICATION VERSUS INVESTIGATION BUT I AM HAPPY TO PROVIDE THAT. >>I AM PRETTY FAMILIAR WITH IT. COUNCIL MEMBER JOHNSON DO YOU NEED ? >>NO. >>OKAY. >>JUST SOME NUMBERS. IN 2017, OPA WAS CONTACTED WITH COMPLAINTS 1325 TIMES. THAT TRANSLATES INTO OUR OPA AUDITOR HAVING TO REVIEW MORE THAN 1300 CLASSIFICATIONS. I DO NOT HAVE THE CURRENT NUMBERS FOR LAST YEAR BUT I WOULD IMAGINE THAT THEY ARE FAIRLY SIMILAR. THE ORDINANCE PROVIDES THAT THE INVESTIGATIONS WILL BE DONE AS AN AUDIT BY RANDOM SAMPLING. WE ARE IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING TO THAT MODEL. WE WANTED TO MAKE SURE THERE WAS A SEAMLESS TRANSITION FROM THE OLD METHOD AND THE NEW METHOD WHERE WE DID NOT MISS ANYTHING IN THE INTERIM. WE ARE JUST ABOUT TO MAKE THE SHIFT TO AUDITS RATHER THAN EVERY CLASSIFICATION BEING REVIEWED. >>AND ONE IS THAT TRANSITION GOING TO OCCUR? >>IT SHOULD BE BY THE END OF THE FIRST QUARTER. >>I THINK WE ARE STILL ON TARGET WITH THAT. WE HAVE OUR OPA SPECIALIST WHO IS LOOKING AT THE CLASSIFICATIONS AND WORKING ON HER RECOMMENDATIONS. THE AUDITOR WILL BE GENERATING A FINAL REPORT OF WHAT HE HAS SEEN THROUGHOUT THE COURSE OF HIS TENURE OVER THE LAST FEW YEARS AND WE WILL LOOK AT THAT AS A BODY AND THEN LOOK AT WHETHER AND HOW AND HOW QUICKLY WE CAN MOVE TO ORDERLY MIGRATION. >>SO YOU EXPECT TO GET THE FORMER OPA AUDITOR REPORT BY THE END OF THE FIRST QUARTER? >>YES. >>ONCE YOU DO THE QUARTERLY REVIEWS, WHAT IS THE ULTIMATE WORK PRODUCT THERE? >>THE ULTIMATE WORK PRODUCT IS , WE WILL AGGREGATE INFORMATION FROM THOSE REVIEWS AND INCLUDE THOSE IN THE ANNUAL REPORT. WE WILL LOOK AT TRENDS THAT WE NEED TO PAY ATTENTION TO AND IF WE ARE SEEING IN OUR AUDIT SOME CONCERN ABOUT CLASSIFICATIONS NOT BEING DONE PROPERLY WE CAN AND HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO MOVE BACK TO CASE-BY-CASE CLASSIFICATION REVIEWS. IT WILL BE AN ASSESSMENT OF ALL OF THOSE. >>GREAT. THANK YOU. >>OF THE CLASSIFICATIONS THAT CAME IN DURING 2017, OPA CONDUCTED INVESTIGATIONS ON 34% OF THOSE OR 448. OF THOSE WE REQUIRED WERE REQUIRED TO INVESTIGATE ALL OF THOSE. INCLUDING ANY UNDERLYING EVIDENCE AND SUPPORTIVE INFORMATION TO DECIDE IF IT WAS DONE THOROUGH, TIMELY AND APPROPRIATELY. >>AND THAT IS ONGOING? >>YES. THAT IS BEING DONE BY THE OFFICE OF INSPECTOR GENERAL. WE ARE WORKING ON HIRING A HYBRID INVESTIGATOR AND AUDITOR POSITION. WE WANT TO HAVE AN ADDITIONAL BODY OF SOMEBODY THAT IS ABLE TO DO THAT WORK AND CAN SHARE THE LOAD WITH THE OPA INVESTIGATOR. SO, IN OUR OPA EVALUATION THE THINGS THAT WE WILL BE INCLUDING IN THE ANNUAL REPORT ARE THE EFFECTIVENESS OF THE COMPLAINT SYSTEM AS A WHOLE IN ACHIEVING FAIR OUTCOMES FOR COMMUNITY MEMBERS WHO COMPLAIN AND FOR OFFICERS AND FOSTERING RESPECTFUL POLICING. WE WILL BE LOOKING FOR TRENDS IN THOSE CLAIMS, LAWSUITS AND OPA OUTCOMES. WE WILL BE TRACKING MEASURES FOR THE DISCIPLINE PROCESS FOR ARBITRATION RESULTS AND FOR LITIGATION. WE WILL BE LOOKING AT THOSE TRENDS AND WHAT WE NEED TO BE PAYING ATTENTION TO. >>ONE THING I HAVE NOT HEARD YOU MENTION, I HEARD YOUR SAY ARBITRATION AND WHAT WAS THE OTHER THING? >>THE COMPLAINT AND DISCIPLINE PROCESS? >>YES. PART OF WHAT IS MEMORIALIZED IN THE NEW CONTRACT ARE THE AGREEMENT TO RAPID ADJUDICATION AND ALSO HAVE A MORE ROBUST MEANINGFUL MEDIATION PROGRAM. >>YES. EVERY ASPECT OF THE COMPLAINT SYSTEM, THE DISCIPLINE SYSTEM AND ALL OF THE VARIOUS TENTACLES THAT FLOW OUT FROM THAT WILL BE AREAS THAT WE TRACK, MONITOR AND LOOK AT FOR TRENDS. >>THE OTHER THING I WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT I MENTION IS THAT WE ARE REQUIRED BY THE ORDINANCE TO ASSESS THE EFFICACY OF THE CIVILIANS MIX AT THE OPA. I DO NOT THINK WE ARE AT A PLACE WHERE THERE IS SUFFICIENT DATA TO DO THAT YET BUT WE WILL UNDERTAKE THE BEGINNINGS OF THAT AUDIT THIS YEAR, PUBLICLY IN THE FOURTH QUARTER. OKAY. A LITTLE BIT ABOUT THE AUDIT PROCESS. I DON’T WANT TO BELABOR THIS TOO MUCH. BECAUSE OF OUR STAFFING LEVELS AND REALLY THE MAGNITUDE OF ISSUES THAT WE COULD POTENTIALLY BE LOOKING AT AT SPD, WE HAVE CHOSEN TO USE A RISK ASSESSMENT APPROACH TO IDENTIFY OUR AUDIT TOPICS. SO WE IDENTIFY AREAS OF CONCERN AND WE LOOK AT THE LIKELIHOOD THAT THOSE MIGHT OCCUR IN THE POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT NEGATIVE IMPACT IF THEY DID. SO THIS IS PART OF THE WORK PLAN TO DETERMINE WHICH ONES WE WANT TO ASSESS AND TAKE ON IMMEDIATELY. WHEN OIG SAYS THAT WE HAVE CONDUCTED AN AUDIT IT IS DONE BY THE YELLOW BOOK STANDARDS. ANYTHING SHORT OF THAT, WHICH OCCURS DEPENDING ON THE INFORMATION AVAILABLE, WE MAY DO REVIEWS OR STUDIES BUT AN AUDIT BUT OUR OFFICES IS DONE BY FEDERAL STANDARDS. WE THINK THAT IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE IT ADDS RIGOR, OBJECTIVITY AND STANDARDS TO OUR AUDITS. IT HELPS US STAND UP TO RIGOROUS STANDARDS. BUT THERE ARE THINGS THAT GET IN THE WAY OF BEING ABLE TO DO A STRICT REVIEW SO WE ARE FLEXIBLE AND ABLE TO UTILIZE OUR PERSONNEL AND RESOURCES OTHER WAYS. AUDITS TAKE A LOT OF TIME. I CAN PROVIDE YOU WITH OUR CURRENT AUDIT SCHEDULE IN TERMS OF DETERMINING THE SCOPE OF WORK AND THE BACKGROUND NECESSARY AND THEN THE WRITEUP. IT CAN TAKE 2-4 MONTHS TO CONDUCT ONE. >>I THINK THAT WOULD BE HELPFUL AND I APPRECIATE THE OFFER. I THINK WE COULD EASILY AMEND THE 2019 WORK PLAN THAT YOU HAVE SUBMITTED TO US WITH AN APPENDIX THAT INCLUDES WHAT THOSE TIMELINES ARE. I THINK THAT WOULD BE REALLY HELPFUL AND AN IMPORTANT PART OF THE TRANSPARENCY AND ACCOUNTABILITY TO US AND THE PUBLIC. WE HAVE A LOT OF EXPECTATIONS AND EXCITEMENT ABOUT THE WORK THAT YOU ARE DOING. I WANT TO QUICKLY MENTION AND NOTE THAT YOU HAVE MENTIONED, SEVERAL TIMES, THE AUDITING PRINCIPLES THAT ARE GOING TO BE GUIDING THE AUDIT WORK. WHEN WE WERE RESEARCHING HOW TO BEST STRUCTURE THE OFFICE OF INSPECTOR GENERAL AND WHEN WE VISITED OTHER CITIES THAT HAD ADOPTED AN INSPECTOR GENERAL MODEL WITHIN THEIR POLICE ACCOUNTABILITY SYSTEMS, ONE OF THE THINGS THAT WE WALKED AWAY WITH WAS THE IMPRESSION THAT THIS OFFICE IS A LITTLE DIFFERENT THAN A LOT OF THE OTHER INSPECTOR GENERAL OFFICES THAT EXIST ACROSS THE COUNTRY. AND I SAY THAT BECAUSE, A LOT OF THE OFFICE OF INSPECTOR GENERAL OFFICES THAT EXIST ACROSS THE COUNTRY WERE NOT SOLELY FOCUSED, FOR THE MOST PART, ON JUST POLICE ACCOUNTABILITY AND POLICING LAW ENFORCEMENT RELATED ISSUES. THEY DEALT WITH A VARIETY OF AUDITING REQUESTS IN JUST ABOUT EVERY SINGLE AGENCY WITHIN THAT PARTICULAR JURISDICTION. WHILE IT IS IMPORTANT FOR US TO HAVE SOME STANDARDS FOR THE RIGOR AND INTEGRITY OF THE AUDITS, THAT HAVING SOME LEVEL OF FLEXIBILITY TO MODIFY SOME OF THIS AUDITING PRINCIPLES THAT ARE BETTER SUITED FOR THE OFFICE AND FOR THE TYPE OF WORK THAT YOU WILL BE DOING IS GOING TO BE REALLY IMPORTANT. >>ABSOLUTELY. I WOULD JUST ADD TO THAT, ONE OF THE MOST CRITICAL PARTS OF THE AUDIT IS — TO DO A STRICT GA GS ON IT. THIS COULD REVIEW A REVIEW OR A STUDY AFTERWARD TO ESTABLISH EFFICACY RATHER THAN AN AUDIT BECAUSE OF MORE DIRECT INVOLVEMENT WITH SPD. THE FLEXIBILITY IS REALLY CRITICAL. >>OKAY. SO, THE PLANT AUDITS THAT WE HAVE ARE REQUIRED BY AUDITS AND THOSE THAT WE HAVE IDENTIFIED THROUGH OUR RISK ANALYSIS FROM OUR ACCOUNTABILITY PARTNERS. THE FIRST IS THE POLICE INTELLIGENCE AUDIT. WE INITIATED THIS IN THE FOURTH 1:45 THOUSAND 18. WE EXPECT A REPORT ON THAT IN THE NEXT FEW MONTHS. A SURVEILLANCE REVIEW IS NOT UNDERWAY YET. THAT IS REQUIRED BY ORDINANCE AND IT WILL COVER 2018 ACTIVITIES OF SPD. SO IT IS DUE IN JANUARY 2020. I WOULD ANTICIPATE THAT WE WOULD HAVE THAT FOR YOU WELL BEFORE 2020. THE FIRST OF OUR PERFORMANCE AUDITS THAT WE HAVE IDENTIFIED IS AT AN AUDIT THAT LOOKS AT APPARITIONS THAT ARE CONDUCTED WITHIN THE CONTEXT OF MUTUAL AID AND SPECIAL COMMISSIONS OF OFFICERS. I THINK WITH THE EFFORTS OF THE MONITORING TEAM AND THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE, THERE IS A LOT OF FOCUS ON SPD OFFICERS IN PATROL. IN TERMS OF USE OF FORCE, HOW THEY DEAL WITH MENTALLY ILL PERSONS, HOW THEY HANDLE IMMIGRANTS — ALL OF THOSE ARE FAIRLY WELL DOCUMENTED IN THERE AND ARE BEING SCRUTINIZED IN SOME WAY. WHEN OFFICERS ARE ENGAGED IN TASK FORCES WITH OTHER OPERATIONS IT IS NOT ENTIRELY CLEAR HOW THAT INFORMATION IS TRACKED. IF IT IS TRACKED AND WE WANT TO TAKE A LOOK AT ARE THOSE THE KINDS OF OPERATIONS SO OUR LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALS CONDUCTING ACTIVITIES NOT INCLUDED. ALL OF THAT WILL BE SWEPT IN. AND I WILL TALK A LITTLE BIT ABOUT THAT LATER WHEN I TALK ABOUT THE INPUT FOR THE WORK PLAN THAT WE GOT FOR OUR PARTNERS. THAT WAS SOMETHING THAT WE FOLDED INTO TERMS AS FAR AS THE CPC RECOMMENDATIONS ON IMMIGRATION STATUS. WE ARE TRYING TO CAPTURE INFORMATION THERE IN THE CONTEXT OF TASK FORCES. I THINK IT IS CAPTURED FAIRLY WELL ELSEWHERE IN REGULAR SPD OPERATIONS. >>CAN YOU EXPLAIN TO US, JUST BRIEFLY, WHY A, SORT OF WHY THE OIG OFFICE HAS SELECTED THIS AS PART OF YOUR FOCUS? HOW TO DO DECIDE TO INCLUDE IT? >>I THINK IT IS A GOOD PHASE 1 AUDIT TO GET US FAMILIARIZED WITH A VARIETY OF TOPICS THAT WE INTEND TO AUDIT IN TERMS OF OFFICERS WORKING UNDER SPECIAL COMMISSIONS AND IT THEN STARTS TO FEED INTO SECONDARY EMPLOYMENT ISSUES. IT COVERS ASKING ABOUT IMMIGRATION STATUS IN COOPERATION WITH OUTSIDE ENTITIES. IT TOUCHES ON USE OF FORCE ISSUES THAT ARE NOT BEING TRACKED UNDER REGULAR SPD OPERATIONS. THERE ARE A LOT OF HIGH-IMPACT COMPONENTS IN ONE FAIRLY CONCRETE SET OF DATA. SO WE CAN TAKE THAT DATA AND EXTRAPOLATED AND TURN IT INTO OTHER AUDITS THAT HAVE CORRELATE OF BUT DIFFERENT FOCUSES. >>THANK YOU. >>WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO SAY IS NOT AS THESE FINISH AND WE IDENTIFY OTHER TOPICS, WE HAVE NOT INCLUDED OTHER AUDITS RIGHT NOW. THAT DOES NOT MEAN WE WON’T BE IDENTIFYING AND INCORPORATING OTHER TOPICS. WE WANT TO SEE WHAT OTHER ISSUES WILL ARISE DURING THE FIRST AND SECOND QUARTER TO SEE úWHAT MY RISE TO THE TOP OF THE PRIORITY LEVEL. WE WOULD LIKE TO TALK ABOUT SOME OF THE HORIZON PROJECTS THAT WE HAVE. THEY COULD BECOME AUDITS THAT ARE CONDUCTED THIS YEAR ONLY MAY IDENTIFY OTHER TOPICS THAT ARE OF MUCH HIGHER RISK OR PRIORITY. THE LAST ONE THAT WE HAVE IDENTIFIED IS AN AUDIT OF RETENTION. THAT HAS BEEN A HUGE ISSUE FOR SPD ABOUT TRYING TO UNDERSTAND THE FACTORS INVOLVED IN WHY OFFICERS ARE LEAVING, WHETHER THEY ARE TRULY LEAVING AT RATES THAT WE BELIEVE THAT THEY ARE AND WE WANT TO TAKE A DEEP DIVE INTO THAT AND UNDERSTAND THAT ISSUE IN ITS ENTIRETY AND THEN, I THINK, THE NEXT STEP OBVIOUSLY, AFTER LOOKING AT HIRING AND HIRING PRACTICES AND FIGURING OUT, NOW THAT WE KNOW WHAT MAKES PEOPLE GO OUT THE DOOR AND HOW MANY ARE GOING, WHAT CAN WE DO TO UNDERSTAND WHAT WE NEED TO DO TO GET PEOPLE IN THE DOOR. I SEE THAT AS A COROLLARY AUDIT FOR THIS. >>I THINK THAT SOME PEOPLE MIGHT LOOK AT THE OFFICES INTENTION TO AUDIT RETENTION AND STAFFING AS UNUSUAL OR A DISCONNECT. SO EXPLAIN TO US AND THE VIEWING PUBLIC WHY LOOKING AT RETENTION AND STAFFING FALLS WITHIN THE RUBRIC OF THE WORK OF THIS OFFICE. >>SURE. IT HAS FREQUENTLY COME UP IN TOPICS IN JUST ABOUT EVERY MEETING WHERE THERE ARE DISCUSSIONS ABOUT WHAT IS HAPPENING AT SPD. THE DISCUSSION ABOUT HOW THEY ARE LOSING PEOPLE TO OTHER AGENCIES AND THAT IT IS REALLY HAVING A VERY DETRIMENTAL EFFECT ON PATROL STAFFING AND POTENTIALLY MOVING BODIES AROUND TO SPD AND WE ARE TRYING TO GET SOME SORT OF OBJECTIVE HANDLE ON THE TRUE STATE OF AFFAIRS AND WHAT, IF ANYTHING, CAN BE DONE TO BETTER UNDERSTAND AND ADDRESS IT AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. IT DOES HAVE AN IMMEDIATE IMPACT ON DELIVERY OF SERVICES IF YOU DON’T HAVE ENOUGH PEOPLE OUT THERE TO TAKE CALLS AND TO RESPOND TO VIOLENT CRIME AND HANDLE LAW ENFORCEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES THAT SPD HAS. THAT SOUNDS TO ME TO BE A VERY CRITICAL NEED. >>RATES. SPECIAL PROJECTS. THESE ARE REALLY THE POLICY DRIVEN PROJECTS THAT WE HAVE INITIATED OR THAT WE ARE ABOUT TO EMBARK ON. WE HAVE ALREADY BEGUN WORK ON WORKING IN COLLABORATION WITH SPD AND WITH A VARIETY OF OTHER PARTNERS. THIS REALLY IS A FASCINATING PROJECT AND I THINK A GOOD ONE JUST IN TERMS OF COLLABORATION TO REALLY TALK ABOUT AND TOUT, THERE HAS BEEN A LOT OF WORK DONE WITH REGARD TO INTERVIEWING WITNESSES AND VICTIMS OF CRIMES AND SOCIAL SCIENTISTS HAVE DEVELOPED A LOT OF TECHNIQUES AND BETTER UNDERSTANDING ABOUT HOW TO REALLY EXTRACT MEMORY AND GOOD RELIABLE INFORMATION FROM VICTIMS AND WITNESSES. THERE IS BECOMING A FOCUS ON USING THOSE TECH GEEKS AND THAT SCIENCE TO ELICIT INFORMATION FROM SUSPECTS. THIS IS A REALLY EXCITING TIME TO WORK WITH SPD AND SOCIAL SCIENTISTS AND PEOPLE IN THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM WHO HAVE BEEN TRYING TO MOVE THESE SORTS OF IDEAS FORWARD FOR YEARS ABOUT GIVING OFFICERS BETTER TOOLS FOR INTERVIEWING SUSPECTS, WITNESSES AND VICTIMS BASED ON THE SCIENCE OF MEMORY AND COGNITION AND HUMAN PSYCHOLOGY. IT REALLY IS A PROJECT ABOUT TAKING SOME FAIRLY INNOVATIVE INTERVIEW TECHNIQUES AND MAKING THEM PART OF THE SPD ARSENAL FOR INTERVIEWING SUSPECTS AND INVESTIGATING CRIME. WITH CPC TO START THIS UP, WE HAVE WORKED WITH THE NATIONAL INNOCENCE PROJECT, WITH THE ACLU AND WITH SPD. WE ARE IN THE PROCESS OF BRINGING OUT ONE OF THE EXPERTS THAT WE HAVE IDENTIFIED AS A POTENTIAL PARTNER TO MEET WITH SPD AND DO A SPECIAL PRESENTATION TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THE PLAN LOOKS LIKE AS FAR AS TRAINING DEVELOPMENT GOING FORWARD. WE MOVED FORWARD LAST YEAR WITH THE RECOMMENDATION TO SPD ABOUT ENGAGING A PEER INTERVENTION PROGRAM. SO, WE ARE WORKING WITH THEM TO DEVELOP THIS, A TRAINING, A PROGRAM IN WHICH OFFICERS ARE GIVEN TOOLS AND TECHNIQUES TO DE-ESCALATE WITH EACH OTHER. DE-ESCALATION IS CRITICAL IN DEALING WITH MEMBERS OF THE COMMUNITY BUT I DON’T THINK THAT OFFICERS ALWAYS FEEL COMFORTABLE, AND THIS IS BASED ON SOCIAL SCIENCE RESEARCH, INTERVENING WITH EACH OTHER. SOMETIMES THERE ARE FEELINGS LIKE YOU ARE INFRINGING ON SOMEONE ELSE’S AUTHORITY OR YOU ARE OVERSTEPPING BOUNDS. A PEER INTERVENTION PROGRAM IS A WAY TO GIVE OFFICERS TECHNIQUES AND PERMISSION TO STEP IN AND HELP EACH OTHER OUT WHEN THEY NEED TO DE-ESCALATE EACH OTHER TO BASICALLY KEEP, PROVIDE A BACKSTOP FROM LOSING YOUR TEMPERATURE AND ENGAGING IN LEWD CONDUCT WHEN YOUR BUTTONS HAVE BEEN PUSHED. WE ARE WORKING WITH THEM TO DEVELOP THAT. THE LAST ITEM THAT I AM HOPING TO FURTHER EXPLORE IN 2019 IS SOME SORT OF SYSTEMIC REVIEW OF CRITICAL INCIDENTS THAT OCCUR AT SPD WHETHER IT IS OFFICER INVOLVED SHOOTINGS, OR SUITS THAT INVOLVE DUSTS, LARGE-SCALE DEMONSTRATIONS WHERE FORCE IS USED IN ALL OF THOSE KINDS OF THINGS WERE HAVING A PANEL OR REVIEW BOARD SET UP WITH HEAVY COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT THAT PICKS APART AND ANALYZES THE SYSTEMS THAT WERE INVOLVED TO THE EXTENT THAT THERE WAS A NEGATIVE EVENT TO TRY TO IMPROVE SYSTEMS AND REDUCE THE LIKELIHOOD OF A SIMILAR NEGATIVE EVENT IN THE FUTURE. WE ARE HOPING TO GET THAT OFF THE GROUND WITH SOME SIGNIFICANT DISCUSSIONS EARLY IN 2019. >>SO, THE WAY THAT THE PRESENTATION IS STRUCTURED IN THE WAY YOUR WORKPLAN IS STRUCTURED AS A WHOLE, THERE IS A DISTINCTION BETWEEN AUDITS AND SPECIAL PROJECTS. THERE ARE AREAS THAT ARE IN LARGE PART MANDATED BY THE POLICE ACCOUNTABILITY ORDINANCE THAT WE PASSED IN 2018. AND YOU MADE REFERENCE TO TWO OF THOSE. OF ANY SURVEILLANCE ORDINANCE REVIEW. AND THEN THERE WAS A COUPLE OF OTHER PLANNED AUDITS THAT ARE INCLUDED THERE THAT ARE NOT NECESSARILY MANDATED BY THE ORDINANCE. AND THEN WE HAVE THE SPECIAL PROJECTS AREA WHICH, I AM ASSUMING FLOW FROM THE ORDINANCES AUTHORITY TO ALLOW WHOEVER THE INSPECTOR GENERAL IS TO CHOOSE AREAS OF HIS OR HER PREFERENCE TO PRIORITIZE IN TERMS OF THE BODY OF WORK FOR THAT OFFICE THAT COMING YEAR. IS MY UNDERSTANDING CORRECT? THESE SPECIAL PROJECTS THAT WE ARE SEEING HERE, THESE ARE PROJECTS THAT ARE PRIORITIES FOR YOU. AS THE INSPECTOR GENERAL. >>YES. I PERCEIVE THEM TO BE PAYING ATTENTION TO WHAT IS GOING ON AROUND THE COUNTRY AND CONVERSATIONS AROUND INNOVATIONS. I THINK THESE ARE AREAS WHERE SPD AND SEATTLE COULD PUSH FORWARD AND GO BEYOND WHAT IS CURRENTLY BEING DONE IN MOST POLICE DEPARTMNTS AND TRIED TO INNOVATE AND DO SOME THINGS THAT BRING MORE COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT TO SPD OPERATIONS THAT BRING BETTER PRACTICES THAT ARE GROUNDED IN SCIENCE TO SPD TO IMPROVE THE TOOLS THAT THEY HAVE TO DO THEIR JOBS. THAT IS WHERE THOSE ARE GROUNDED IN. I BELIEVE THE AUTHORITY TO DO THAT IS AS YOU STATED. >>OKAY. >>SO MAYBE, WHAT YOU CAN DO, AND YOU HAVE KIND OF ALLUDED TO THIS A LITTLE BIT IN YOUR REMARKS IS, EXPLAIN TO US WHY YOU THINK THAT THESE ARE THE THREE AREAS THAT SHOULD BE FURTHER EXPLORED AND ASSESSED IN 2019 AND WHAT EXPERIENCES YOU BRING TO BEAR TO ALLOW THIS WORK TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN 2019 AND ULTIMATELY, WHAT IS THE WORK PRODUCT HERE. ONE OF THE THINGS THAT WE ARE TRYING TO MOVE AWAY FROM THAT EXISTED QUITE PREVALENTLY IN THE FORMER ITERATION OF THE POLICE ACCOUNTABILITY SYSTEM IS THE GENERATION OF REPORTS FOR THE SAKE OF GENERATING REPORTS BUT THEN THEY WERE NOT TRACKED AND NOTHING HAPPENED WITH THEM. I DO NOT WANT US TO GET INTO THE HABIT OF ENGAGING IN THAT PAST PRODUCT IS. SO I WOULD LIKE TO GET AN UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT ARE THE WORKED PRODUCT OUTCOMES. WHAT IS IT THAT WE, THAT THE IG IS TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH BY PRIORITIZING SPECIAL PROJECTS AND AGAIN, WHAT EXPERIENCE DO YOU BRING TO BEAR AS THE FIRST IG FOR THE CITY THAT WILL ALLOW THE SPECIAL PROJECTS TO BE SUCCESSFUL. >>I THINK THIS REALLY CAME TO A HEAD FOR ME WHEN I WAS WORKING AS A POLICE LAWYER A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO. A CASE FROM ILLINOIS THAT WAS REALLY ONE OF THE FIRST IN MY RECOLLECTION TO ACKNOWLEDGE THE USE OF DECEPTION IN AN INTERROGATION OF A SUSPECT OF BEING VIOLATIVE OF THEIR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS. IT REALLY KIND OF HIGHLIGHTED SOMETHING THAT I THINK HAS BEEN BUBBLING AND IN SOME WAYS HAS BEEN A HUGE ISSUE. WITH USING COERCIVE TACTICS AND CERTAIN SCHOOLS OF THOUGHTS WITH GETTING INFORMATION FROM SUSPECTS AND THAT SOMETIMES RESULTING IN WRONGFUL CONVICTIONS AND CONFESSIONS. >>INCLUDING JUVENILES? >>ESPECIALLY JUVENILES. I THINK THEY ARE VERY SUSCEPTIBLE TO THAT KIND OF COERCION AND PRESSURE. I DON’T THINK IT IS A PROBLEM HERE IN SEATTLE BUT WHAT HAS COME OUT OF A LOT OF THIS IS A LOT OF RESEARCH AND SCIENCE ABOUT HOW HUMAN BEINGS REMEMBER THINGS AND HOW THEY TELL STORIES AND AT WHAT POINTS IN TIME MEMORY IS CLEARER. AND I THINK USING THAT SCIENCE TO MAKE THE WAY SPD SOLICITS INFORMATION AND GETS INFORMATION TO INVESTIGATE CRIMES IS REALLY CRITICAL. WHY WOULD YOU NOT USE GOOD SCIENCE TO INFORM HOW YOU INTERROGATE AND INVESTIGATE CRIME. IN THE SAME WAY YOU USE EMERGING FORENSIC SCIENCE IS IT CAME OUT TO YOUR ADVANTAGE TO SOLVE A CRIME. THERE IS NO REASON NOT TO USE INNOVATIONS IN THAT WAY TO MAKE CRIME SOLVING BETTER AND MORE ACCURATE AND REDUCE THE LIKELIHOOD THAT INNOCENT PEOPLE WILL IN SOME WAY BE SWEPT UP AND PUNISHED FOR SOMETHING THAT THEY DID NOT DO. TO ME IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN CRITICAL. IT IS AN OPPORTUNITY BECAUSE THE CONSENT DECREE ACTIONS HAVE FOCUSED ON PATROL. PATROL HAS BORNE THE BRUNT OF MOST OF THE CHANGES THAT HAVE COME THROUGH IN THE CONSENT DECREE THIS IS REALLY A PROJECT THAT FOCUSES A BIT ON THE INVESTIGATIVE FUNCTIONS OF SPD. SO DETECTIVES AND LIKE THAT. THIS GIVES THEM A LITTLE BIT OF SOMETHING TO DO AND GIVES ALL OF THEM ADDITIONAL TOOLS AND SKILLS TO BE ABLE TO, I THINK, WORK SMARTER AND BETTER TO SOLVE CRIME. >>SO, YOU CURRENTLY THIS IS MORE OF AN OPPORTUNITY TO CLEAN UP OR MAKE SURE THAT THERE IS SOME SORT OF STANDARDIZED SET OF INTERROGATION AND TRAINING PROCESSES FOR THOSE THAT ENGAGE IN INVESTIGATIONS BUT YOU ARE NOT PUTTING THIS ON THE LIST OF IMPORTANT TOPICS BECAUSE THERE IS AN APPROPRIATE STANDARDS. >>EXACTLY. THIS IS SOMETHING WE HAVE UNDERTAKEN IN CONJUNCTION WITH CPC. THEY HAVE A STRONG INTEREST IN THIS TOPIC. I THINK THEY HAVE DIFFERENT IDEAS ABOUT WHY IT IS NECESSARY THEN I DO AND I DON’T WANT TO UNFAIRLY STATE THEIR POSITION OR MISSTATE THEIR POSITION BUT FROM MY PERSPECTIVE, IT IS ABOUT GIVING OFFICERS BETTER TOOLS AND USING WHAT I FEEL LIKE IS FAIRLY CUTTING EDGE INFORMATION THAT FOR SOME REASON IS NOT GAINING WIDE ACCEPTANCE IN THE UNITED STATES BUT IN OTHER AREAS LIKE THE UK IS WIDELY USED WITH GREAT SUCCESS. >>FOLLOW-UP QUESTION. >>YES. >>IT WOULD BE HELPFUL TO HAVE A BETTER UNDERSTANDING ABOUT THE DIFFERENTIATION BETWEEN THE AUDITS AND OTHER WORK PROGRAMS THAT ARE OUTLINED IN THE LEGISLATION AND WHAT ARE INTERESTING PROJECTS THAT YOU FEEL NEED TO BE PRIORITIZED BUT ARE NOT PART OF THE WORK PROGRAM THAT WAS IDENTIFIED. HOW MUCH OF THE WORK THAT YOU ARE PLANNING TO DO IN 2019 IS CLEARLY LAID OUT IN THE LEGISLATION AND PART OF THE REQUIREMENTS THAT YOU NEED TO PERFORM AS PART OF THE DUTIES OF SERVING AS IG AND WHAT PROJECTS ARE IMPORTANT FOR US TO UNDERSTAND AND EVALUATE THEIR FURTHER BUT HAVE MORE DISCUSSION . >>I THINK THERE IS A FAIR AMOUNT OF DISCRETION BUILT INTO THE ORDINANCE IN TERMS OF PROJECTS FOR IG. THERE ARE CERTAIN AUDITS THAT ARE MANDATED AND TOPIC AREAS THAT ARE SUGGESTED AND THAT WE HAVE A RESPONSIBILITY FOR BUT IT DOES NOT NECESSARILY INDICATE THAT THERE IS A REQUIREMENT THAT IT IS DONE ON ANY SORT OF DELINEATED BASIS. WHAT THE OFFICE OF INSPECTOR GENERAL HAS AN OBLIGATION TO DO IS TO KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR BEST PRACTICES AND FOR MOVING THE DEPARTMENT FORWARD IN AREAS THAT WE BELIEVE ARE CRITICAL TO PUBLIC CONFIDENCE, TO TRANSPARENCY AND TO COMMUNITY NEEDS. AND I THINK THAT YOU WOULD BE HARD-PRESSED TO FIND ANYONE WHO WOULD SAY THAT WRONGFUL CONVICTIONS AND FALSE CONFESSIONS, ESPECIALLY WITH VULNERABLE POPULATIONS LIKE JUVENILES OR THERE COULD BE CULTURAL FACTORS THAT COME INTO PLAY IN AN INTERROGATION WHERE PEOPLE ARE BEING SWEPT UP INTO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM, PERHAPS WRONGLY, PERHAPS THERE ARE NO ONE’S FAULT EXCEPT FOR MAYBE A POOR UNDERSTANDING OF SCIENCE IN HUMAN NATURE. IT IS NOT JUST A VANITY PROJECT FOR ME BECAUSE IT IS NEAT. I THINK IT IS CRITICAL TO THE TRUST THAT COMMUNITY HAS IN THEIR POLICE DEPARTMENT AND THAT THE POLICE DEPARTMENT IS USING THE BEST INFORMATION, SCIENCE AND TOOLS AVAILABLE TO INVESTIGATE AND SOLVE CRIME IN A WAY THAT IS FAIR AND CONSTITUTIONAL. I DON’T THINK ANY OF THE THINGS ON THIS LIST ARE JUST SIMPLY DISCRETIONARY. I THINK THEY ARE THINGS THAT THE OFFICE OF INSPECTOR GENERAL BELIEVES ARE IMPORTANT TOOLS FOR SPD TO HAVE TO MOVE FORWARD IN THE FRAMEWORK OF PROVIDING CONSTITUTIONAL AND RESPECTFUL COMMUNITY POLICING. >>I WOULD SAY, COUNCIL MEMBER JOHNSON, THAT THERE ARE VERY SMALL NUMBER OF CLEARLY ENUMERATED REQUIRED RESPONSIBILITIES OF AUDITING AND INVESTIGATION THAT HAVE TO, AT A MINIMUM, BE DONE BY THE INSPECTOR GENERAL. THERE IS A BROADER CATEGORY OF ITEMS THAT THE IG WOULD LIKE TO PRIORITIZE IN THE SPECIAL PROJECTS AREA THAT IS LARGELY LEFT TO THE DISCRETION OF THE INSPECTOR GENERAL. THIS IS OUR OPPORTUNITY, AS COUNCIL MEMBERS AND MEMBERS OF THIS COMMITTEE TO HAVE A FIRST VIEW IN HEARING WHAT THE INSPECTOR GENERAL PROPOSES TO PRIORITIZE AND TO GET A BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT HER THINKING IS AS TO WHY THOSE AREAS NEED TO BE PRIORITIZED. THIS ALSO ALLOWS THE CITY COUNCIL TO ADD TO THE WORK PLAN OR OTHERWISE MODIFY HER WORK PLAN. IF IT DEEMS THAT IS THE APPROPRIATE THING FOR US TO DO. AND SO, THIS IS A FIRST OPPORTUNITY FOR US TO HAVE A CONVERSATION AROUND GETTING A MORE ROBUST UNDERSTANDING OF YOUR THINKING AS TO WHY THESE ITEMS MADE IT ONTO THE LIST AND HOW YOU EXPECT TO ADVANCE THAT WORK IN A WAY THAT IS SUCCESSFUL AND FRUITFUL AND PRODUCES SOMETHING BESIDES A REPORT. AND, IT IS OUR OPPORTUNITY TO WALK AWAY WITH THAT INFORMATION AND THINK A LITTLE BIT MORE CONCRETELY ABOUT WHAT WE, AS A CITY COUNCIL, THINK ABOUT YOUR WORK PLAN AND WHAT WE MIGHT WANT TO INCLUDE IN THE WORK PLAN. WE HAVE NOT GOTTEN TO THIS SECTION QUITE YET, BUT IT IS COMING UP. THERE IS ALSO A REQUIREMENT IN THE ORDINANCE THAT REQUIRES THE INSPECTOR GENERAL TO SOLICIT PROJECTS FROM THE OTHER ACCOUNTABILITY ENTITIES AND TO TELL US AS A CITY COUNCIL THOSE PROJECTS THAT WERE ACCEPTED, REJECTED, TABLED FOR WHATEVER REASON. SO WE WILL HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO HEAR FROM YOU PRETTY QUICKLY WHAT SOME OF THOSE DECISIONS WERE AND WHY. >>AND, JUST QUICKLY, THE PEER INTERVENTION PROGRAM IS FAIRLY LOW HANGING FRUIT WITH HIGH YIELD. AND THAT IS WHY IT MADE IT ON THERE. IT CAN BE DONE FAIRLY EASILY AND IT IS JUST A MATTER OF WORKING WITH SPD TO DEVELOP WHAT THAT LOOKS LIKE. WE HAVE ALREADY MET SEVERAL TIMES AND THEY HAVE TAKEN THAT ON SO THAT IS A FAIRLY EASY ONE. >>AND IT IS A PRETTY SUCCESSFUL PROGRAM IN NEW ORLEANS. >>YES. IT WORKS FOR NEW ORLEANS. THE CRITICAL THING IS TO FIGURE OUT WHAT WORKS FOR SEATTLE. WE NEED TO FIGURE OUT WHAT WORKS WELL FOR SEATTLE. WITH SENTINEL REVIEW, I AM CONSISTENTLY ASKED ABOUT HIGH PROFILE INCIDENTS LIKE OFFICER INVOLVED SHOOTINGS. WE HAD A TRAGIC EVENT JUST RECENTLY, WITHIN THE LAST FEW WEEKS, THAT I THINK HIGHLIGHTS THE NEED TO HAVE SOME REALLY IN-DEPTH REVIEW PROCESS OF AN EVENT LIKE THAT THAT INVOLVES COMMUNITY AND ANSWERS THE QUESTIONS THAT COMMUNITY HAS ABOUT THOSE EVENTS AND LOOKS AT IT FROM A BROADER PERSPECTIVE THAN IS CURRENTLY DONE IN THE LAW ENFORCEMENT REVIEW CONTEXT. I THINK THAT IS ONE OF THOSE THINGS THAT FEELS TO ME LIKE ULTIMATELY IS REALLY IMPORTANT FOR TRANSPARENCY AND COMMUNITY CONFIDENCE AND COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT FRANKLY, IN THESE KINDS OF THINGS. >>SO ONE OF THE THINGS THAT I NOTICED IN THE WORK PLAN THAT REALLY STOOD OUT TO ME IS THE SEATTLE POLICE DEPARTMENT HAS REQUESTED THAT THE OFFICE OF INSPECTOR GENERAL CONSIDER PROVIDING A FAMILY LIAISON SERVICE TO SHARE INFORMATION WITH FAMILIES THAT MIGHT BE IMPACTED WITHIN THIS SPACE AND THAT IS SORT OF BEYOND THE FUNCTIONS THAT ARE DESCRIBED IN THE ORDINANCE FOR THE IG AND I THINK THE WORK PLAN INDICATES THAT YOU ALL ARE GOING TO CONTINUE CONVERSATIONS WITH THEM ABOUT THAT SUGGESTION AND IDENTIFYING OTHER SOLUTIONS. CAN YOU TALK A LITTLE BIT MORE ABOUT YOUR UNDERSTANDING OF THEIR REQUEST FOR A FAMILY LIAISON SERVICE AND WHY THEY BELIEVE THE IG IS THE PLACE WHERE THAT SHOULD BE HOUSED AND WHAT YOUR PERSPECTIVE IS OF THAT SUGGESTION. >>SURE. I THINK THAT OIG WAS THROWN INTO THE MIX BECAUSE IT CAME UP PRIOR TO ME JOINING THE CITY OF SEATTLE AND HAVING AN ACTUAL OIG OFFICE IN EXISTENCE. THE RECOMMENDATION CAME IN THAT THIS FUNCTION NEEDS TO HAPPEN AND WE WILL WAIT FOR THE INSPECTOR GENERAL TO FIGURE OUT WHERE THAT GOES. I DON’T BELIEVE IT IS A FUNCTION THAT IS PROPERLY HOUSED IN HIGH OFFICE. IT HAS BEEN MY EXPERIENCE THAT, IN QUITE A LONG TIME OF BEING INVOLVED IN OFFICER INVOLVED SHOOTINGS AND OTHER TRAGIC EVENTS WORKING FOR A MUNICIPALITY THAT FREQUENTLY FAMILIES DON’T WANT TO HEAR FROM THE AGENCY OR THE GOVERNMENT ENTITY THAT WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DEATH OF A LOVED ONE. SO, I WILL BE MEETING WITH CPC TO TALK ABOUT WHAT THAT LOOKS LIKE AND WHERE THAT MIGHT BE AN APPROPRIATE FUNCTION. SOME SORT OF VICTIM SERVICES FUNCTION THAT REALLY IS NOT OIG. THE CRITICAL PIECE THERE THOUGH IS THAT YOU CAN SET UP SOMEBODY WHO IS A LIAISON BUT UNLESS THERE IS REAL-TIME REAL INFORMATION COMING FROM SPD TO THE LIAISON AND GOING TO THE FAMILY, IT DOES NOT WORK. SO WE HAVE GOT TO HAVE A MECHANISM SET UP WHERE THE FAMILY LIAISON IS HOUSED APPROPRIATELY BUT THEY ARE GETTING EVERYTHING THAT THEY NEED IN TERMS OF INFORMATION TO PASS ON TO THE FAMILY. SO I WILL WORK WITH CPC AND SPD TO IDENTIFY THAT AND SET UP THE MECHANISM FOR THAT INFORMATION FLOW. >>I THINK YOU SHOULD ALSO INCLUDE THE OFFICE OF POLICE ACCOUNTABILITY THAT HAS PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY FOR INVESTIGATIONS TO BEGIN WITH AND AS WE MOVE TOWARDS A MODEL WHERE THERE IS INCREASING ORGANIZATION WITHIN THE OFFICE OF POLICE ACCOUNTABILITY, THERE IS A UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY TO THINK ABOUT HOW THIS FUNCTION COULD OR SHOULD FIT INTO THE ORGANIZATIONAL MODEL. >>WE HAVE HAD PRELIMINARY DISCUSSIONS ABOUT WHERE SHOULD FALL AND WHO SHOULD BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT SO THEY ARE FOLDED INTO THE DISCUSSION AS WELL. >>SHOULD WE MOVE ON TO THE WORK PLAN REQUEST BY OUR PARTNERS? >>WE ARE RUNNING A LITTLE BEHIND SO I AM GOING TO GIVE YOU ABOUT SIX MINUTES. >>NO PROBLEM. SO, WHAT WE HAVE DONE IS, WITH THE WORK PLAN REQUEST FROM OUR PARTNERS, WE HAVE EITHER DECIDED TO TAKE THEIR SUGGESTIONS AND FOLD THEM INTO THE AUDITS THAT WE HAVE CURRENTLY PLANNED OR DO SOME SORT OF ASSESSMENT OF WHEN WE CAN FOLD THOSE IN. WE GOT SOME REALLY GOOD SUGGESTIONS FROM CPC, SPD AND OPA. WE MET WITH COUNCIL MEMBERS AS WELL AND SOLICITED INFORMATION THERE. IN TERMS OF CBCS THEY HAVE ASKED US TO DO A RACIAL DISPARITY REVIEW AND WE ARE INVOLVED IN SOME OF THE RACIAL DISPARITY DISCUSSIONS AND ANALYSES GOING ON. WE WILL DO A PATTERN ANALYSIS OF THAT FOR OUR ANNUAL REPORT AND WE ARE WORKING WITH THEM ON THE INTERROGATION PRACTICES PROJECT. THE FEDERAL TASK FORCE IMMIGRATION ISSUE, WE HAVE WORKED INTO OUR AUDIT ON TASK FORCES AND MUTUAL AID AGREEMENTS. THEY HAVE ASKED US TO LOOK AT LITIGATION TRENDS AND WE WILL DO THAT AS PART OF OUR ANNUAL REPORT. OPA WORKPLAN REQUESTS FOR WERE FOR IG TO LOOK AT SPECIAL COMMISSIONS AND WE HAVE INCORPORATED THAT INTO OUR MUTUAL AID AUDIT. THEY HAVE ASKED US TO LOOK AT THE SUPERVISOR HANDLING OF MINOR MISCONDUCT ALLEGATIONS. WE WILL PUT THAT ON OUR SLATE WHEN THERE IS SUFFICIENT DATA TO ANALYZE THAT PROGRAM AND THEY HAVE ASKED US TO CHANGES TO TRAINING AND POLICY WHEN IT COMES TO USE OF FORCE. WE HAVE AN ONGOING REVIEW OF THAT AND WE WILL DETERMINE, PROBABLY AFTER THE SUSTAINMENT PERIOD, HOW WE WORK THAT INTO A FORMAL AUDIT. THESE ARE SOME OF THE OTHER HORIZON AND TOPIC AREAS THAT WE ARE TAKING A LOOK AT. WE WILL BE TRACKING DISCIPLINE RECOMMENDATIONS AND APPEAL PROCESSES FOR TRENDING ANALYSIS. ONE OF THE THINGS THAT ONE OF OUR POLICY ANALYSTS WILL BE DOING SHORTLY IS PROVIDING A WORKFLOW CHART OF THE ENTIRE DISCIPLINARY AND APPEALS PROCESS FOR US TO USE. I FIND THAT IT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO FIND SOMEBODY WHO HAS A COMPLETE AND FULL UNDERSTANDING OF THE ENTIRE PROCESS FROM START TO FINISH WITH ALL OF THE VARIOUS DECISION AND PRESSURE POINTS ALONG THE WAY. SO WE WILL BE PROVIDING THAT TO OUR FOLKS. AND THE DATA ANALYTICS PLATFORM DEVELOPED BY SPD IS REALLY AN AMAZING AND OFFICER OFFERS UNPRECEDENTED ABILITY TO ACCESS THE SPD DATA. WE ARE GETTING TO KNOW IT AND WHAT IT CAN DO IN TERMS OF OUR OWN DANA ANALYTICS. IT IS TAKING A LOT OF TIME AND ENERGY AND IT IS QUITE GOOD INFORMATION. WE WILL BE PARTNERING WITH THE MONITORING TEAM TO BRING OUR EXPERTISE TO USE FOR THEM IN THE SUSTAINMENT PERIOD. >>THAT IS GREAT. >>AND I THINK I WILL GO AHEAD AND WRAP IT UP THERE AND LEAVE YOU SOME TIME FOR OTHER QUESTIONS YOU MIGHT HAVE. >>COUNCIL MEMBER HERBOLD, DO HAVE QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS? >>NO. >>I JUST WANT TO SAY THANK YOU FOR PUTTING TOGETHER A VERY THOROUGH WORKPLAN AND PRESENTATION AND FOR SPENDING SOME TIME WITH US THIS MORNING TO PUBLICLY TALK ABOUT WHAT YOU HOPE TO BE ABLE TO ACCOMPLISH IN 2019. I KNOW THAT YOU ARE STILL WORKING TO FULLY STAFF YOURSELF UP IN THE OFFICE AND I THINK THAT WILL BE A CRITICAL COMPONENT TO ACHIEVE A LOT OF THE THINGS THAT YOU HAVE DESCRIBED THAT YOU WANT TO DO IN 2019. AND I THINK THAT THE NEXT THING THAT I AM INTERESTED IN DOING IS MAKING SURE THAT ANY COUNCIL PRIORITIES THAT MAY NOT ALREADY BE INCLUDED WITHIN YOUR WORKPLAN ARE CONSIDERED BY THE IG. WILL MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW UP WITH YOU TO MAKE SURE THAT THOSE AREAS ARE PROPERLY INCLUDED OR INCORPORATED OR AT LEAST CONSIDERED BY YOU IN SOME WAY TO MAKE SURE THAT SOME OF THE WORK THAT WE ARE DOING HERE HAS SOME SYNERGY WITH THE WORK THAT YOU ARE DOING. I THINK THAT IS IT. AND UNLESS YOU HAVE ANYTHING ELSE TO ADD, WE WILL LET YOU GO. >>I DO NOT. YOU CAN’T CUT VERY MUCH. WE APPRECIATE IT. >>THANK YOU, FOR BEING WITH US THIS MORNING. WE WILL GO AHEAD AND READ THE SECOND AGENDA ITEM INTO THE RECORD. ROXANNE IF YOU CAN DO THAT WHILE FOLKS MAKE THEIR WAY UP THAT WOULD BE GREAT. >>EMERGENCY 911 SYSTEM OUTAGE ON DECEMBER 2 27 2018 AND RESPONSE PROTOCOL. >>IF YOU ARE HERE TO GIVE US ADDITIONAL INFORMATION PLEASE JOIN US AT THE TABLE AND ROXANNE WILL GET THE PRESENTATION UP. GOOD MORNING. >>LET’S START WITH A ROUND OF INTRODUCTIONS AND THEN I AM GOING TO HAND IT OVER TO YOU FOR INTRODUCTORY REMARKS AND THE PRESENTATION. >>I AM LISA K FROM CANCEL CENTRAL STAFF. CHRIS LAMBERT, BATTALION CHIEF OVERSEEING THE FIRE DEPARTMENT 911 DISPATCH. >>I AM LAUREL NELSON, DEPUTY DIRECTOR OFFICE OF EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT. >>BARB GROFF, DIRECTOR OF THE OFFICE OF EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT. >>JUST A LITTLE BIT OF CONTEXT OF 911 AND HOW IT FITS WITH EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT. WHEN WE CALL 911, OUR CALL TRAVELS VERY QUICKLY THROUGH A COMPLEX SYSTEM STARTING WITH PRIVATE TELECOMMUNICATION AND THEY CONNECT WITH THE LOCAL 911 CALL CENTERS. WE ALSO CALL THAT PUBLIC SAFETY. SEATTLE HAS TWO OF THE 12 APPS. THE POLICE APP CANCEL ANSWERS ALL OF THE 911 CALLS AND THEN FORWARDS ANY CALLS FOR FIRE OR MEDICAL HELP TO THE FIRE PIECE APP. TE OFFICE OF EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT DOES NOT USUALLY BECOME INVOLVED IN THESE FOR SMALL-SCALE EMERGENCIES THAT IT DOES COORDINATE EMERGENCIES AS WELL AS MAJOR EMERGENCIES. THAT IS JUST A BRIEF CONTEXT AND I CAN TURN IT OVER TO MARK. >>THAT WAS THE MOST EFFICIENT SUMMARY OF APPROXIMATELY TWO YEARS WORTH OF WORK. WE APPRECIATE THAT. IT FELT MUCH MORE DETAILED WHEN I WAS IN THE MIDST OF IT. SO LET’S GO AHEAD AND DIG INTO THE PRESENTATION. >>GOOD MORNING AND THANK YOU FOR HAVING US HERE TO HAVE A CONVERSATION ABOUT THIS. PLEASE JUMP IN IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO ADD. WE CAN TAKE ON ANY QUESTIONS THAT YOU MIGHT HAVE. THIS IS IN REFERENCE TO THE 911 OUTAGE ON DECEMBER 27 OF LAST YEAR. WE ARE GOING TO FIRST GIVE A QUICK OVERVIEW OF THE EVENT TO INCLUDE A TIMELINE OF THE DIFFERENT INCIDENTS WITHIN THE EVENT THAT OCCURRED AND WALK- THROUGH QUESTIONS THAT HAVE BEEN POSED AND THEN AGAIN, WE WILL FIELD ANY QUESTIONS THAT YOU HAVE. I THINK WE ALSO PROVIDED A SUMMARY DOCUMENT AND THE SLIDE BRACKET REPRESENTS THAT IT IS THERE. THIS INCIDENT REALLY WAS COMPRISED OF TWO EVENTS. THE FIRST BEGAN ON DECEMBER 27 AT ABOUT 12:45 AM. AT THAT TIME, THE 911 CENTER WHICH WE WILL REFER TO AS THE CENTER GOING FORWARD, RECEIVED INFORMATION THROUGH EQUIPMENT LOGS THAT INDICATED THAT 911 CALLS WERE NOT CONNECTING TO THE CENTER. ABOUT 32 MINUTES LATER, THE CENTER RECEIVED INFORMATION THAT WE WERE ONCE AGAIN RECEIVING THOSE CALLS AND THAT EVERYTHING WAS BACK UP AND RUNNING. AFTER THAT, BETWEEN ABOUT 1:20 AM AND ABOUT 9:17 AM THERE WERE CONVERSATIONS UP AND DOWN THE CHAIN OF COMMAND AND CONVERSATIONS WITH THE KING COUNTY E 911 ABOUT WHAT HAD TAKEN PLACE. KING COUNTY ACKNOWLEDGED THAT THERE HAD BEEN AN EVENT THAT IMPACTED SEVERAL AGENCIES AND THEY BEGAN INTERACTING WITH THE VENDORS WHICH ARE BOTH CENTURY LINK AND COMTECH TO SEE WHAT OCCURRED. IT WAS AT THAT TIME THAT WE LEARNED THAT CENTURY LINK WAS DEALING WITH A MASSIVE OUTAGE THAT WENT FAR BEYOND THE SEATTLE AND KING COUNTY AREA AND WELL BEYOND THE STATE AS WELL. THE SECOND INCIDENT LASTED SIGNIFICANTLY LONGER. IT LASTED ABOUT 11.5 HOURS. IT BEGAN AT ABOUT 8:22 PM ON DECEMBER 27. AGAIN THE LOGS INDICATED THAT CALLS WERE NOT MAKING IT INTO THE CENTER. COMMUNICATION WITH KING COUNTY E 911 INDICATED THAT IT WAS A PROBLEM WITH CENTURY LINK AND IT WAS AN ONGOING PART OF THE NATIONAL OUTAGE THAT WAS TAKING PLACE. IT WAS AT THIS TIME THAT SEATTLE FIRE DEPARTMENT, SEATTLE POLICE DEPARTMENT, PUBLIC INFORMATION OFFICERS GOT TOGETHER TO BEGIN TO CREATE A CONSISTENT MESSAGE FOR FOLKS WITHIN SEATTLE. THE SEATTLE FIRE DEPARTMENT ISSUED AN ALERT, PROVIDING PEOPLE INFORMATION THAT E 911 IT WAS DOWN AND HAVING THEM USE A NORMAL EMERGENCY, NOT EMERGENCY TELEPHONE NUMBERS TO COMMUNICATE WITH THE CENTER. AT ABOUT 11:25 PM THAT EVENING THERE WAS A STATEWIDE EMERGENCY ALERT SYSTEM ACTIVATION BUT ALSO SHARED INFORMATION ABOUT THE OUTAGE. THROUGHOUT THE REST OF THAT EVENING UNTIL ABOUT 7:05 AM THE FOLLOWING MORNING, KING COUNTY E 911, WHILE THEY WERE PROVIDING UPDATES, THE UPDATES WERE BASICALLY WAS THAT THERE WAS NO CHANGE IN THE STATUS AND THAT THE SITUATION WAS DOWN. SO THE FIRST INCIDENT LASTED ABOUT 32 MINUTES ON THE SECOND, 11.5 HOURS. IN BOTH CASES, OUR KNOWLEDGE OF IT WAS GENERATED THROUGH THE EQUIPMENT LOGS,, MEDICATIONS WITH KING COUNTY 911 WAS THAT THIS WAS PART OF A LARGE NATIONAL OUTAGE RESULTING FROM CENTURY LINK AND IN BETWEEN THEN WE HAD VERY LITTLE INFORMATION. SO WE WILL GO THROUGH A SERIES OF QUESTIONS TO TAKE A LOOK ABOUT HOW IT ACTUALLY IMPACTED OUR CENTERS. THE FIRST IS WHAT AFFECTED THE OUTAGE HAVE ON THE 911 DISPATCH CENTERS? AS MENTIONED IN THE OPENING, THE SEATTLE POLICE DEPARTMENT 911 CENTER IS THE PRIMARY CENTER AND THAT MEANS THAT WHEN A CALL COMES IN FROM 911, IT GOES TO THE SEATTLE POLICE DEPARTMENT CENTER WHERE IT IS TRIAGED AND PASSED ON TO FIRE WHERE APPROPRIATE. THEY WERE UNABLE TO FIELD 911 CALLS FROM THE GENERAL PUBLIC AND OPERATORS HAD TO SWITCH ANSWERING OVER TO 10 DIGIT NUMBERS AND THEY WERE EMERGENCY AND NONEMERGENCY NUMBERS. WE LEVERAGED OPERABILITY WITH RADIO SYSTEMS TO COMMUNICATE BETWEEN THE APPS AND THAT CAUSED CENTER EMPLOYEES TO REALLY HAVE TO PRIORITIZE THE WORK THAT THEY WERE DOING. >>ONE OF THE THINGS THAT YOU DO NOT SPECIFICALLY MENTION MARK WAS THAT IN ADDITION TO THE 10 DIGIT LINES THERE WAS THE ABILITY FOR PEOPLE TO TEXT 911 AND THAT TEXTING FUNCTION IS RELATIVELY NEW TO THE SYSTEM. IT IS PART OF THE WORK THAT WE WERE TRYING TO DO IN TERMS OF THE NEXT GENERATION OF 911 AND HOW WE ALLOW PEOPLE TO TRANSMIT EMERGENCY INFORMATION TO PEACE APPS. DO WE HAVE A SENSE OF HOW THAT FUNCTIONED? DID IT FUNCTION WELL OR ARE THERE THINGS THAT WE LEARN FROM THE TEXTING CAPABILITY BOTH IN THE OUTAGE CONTEXT OR BROADLY SPEAKING? >>THANK YOU, FOR BRINGING THAT UP. I THINK IT WAS NEAR THE END OF LAST YEAR THAT THE TEXT TO 911 FEATURE CAME ONLINE. I DON’T HAVE SPECIFIC NUMBERS ON THAT RIGHT NOW. WE DO KNOW FROM TAKING A LOOK AT THE OTHER LINES, THERE WAS A 300% INCREASE IN THE TWO 10 DIGIT LINES WHICH MAKES SENSE BECAUSE THIS IS WHAT WE WERE TELLING PEOPLE TO USE. ONE OF THE COMPLICATED FACTORS IS THAT CENTURY LINK IS OBLIGATED TO PROVIDE US WITH AN AFTER ACTION LOOK AND INFORMATION RELATED TO CALL PERFORMANCE WHEN SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAPPENS AND THEY HAVE A 30 DAY WINDOW TO DO THAT. THEY HAVE ABOUT FIVE MORE DAYS TO PROVIDE THIS INFORMATION SO AT THE MOMENT, IT IS HARD FOR US TO ASSESS THE CALLS THAT WE DON’T GET. WE ARE RELIANT ON CENTURY LINK IN THIS CASE TO DO THAT AND WE DON’T YET HAVE THE INFORMATION SO IT IS HARD FOR US TO TELL. SO LET ME CHECK AND SEE WHAT THE TEXT IN LOAD WAS. >>IN TERM OF CENTURY LINK OBLIGATION TO DISCLOSE THE IMPACTS HERE IN TERMS OF PEOPLE THAT WERE NOT ABLE TO CONNECT, IS THAT A REPORT THAT ONLY GOES TO THE FCC OR DO THEY PROVIDE THAT TO US AS WELL? >>WE DO GET INFORMATION ABOUT CALLS THAT WERE NOT ABLE TO CONNECT TO OUR CENTER. IT IS FAIRLY DETAILED. SO WE WILL GET THAT. THERE IS AN FCC INVESTIGATION THAT HAS BEEN OH AND ON THIS INCIDENT BECAUSE IT IS WATCH IT IS MUCH BROADER THAN WHAT WE HAD TO DEAL WITH. IN TERMS OF A COMPLETE REPORT THAT WILL COME OUT OF THIS FROM CENTURY LINK, I DO NOT KNOW IF THAT WILL HAVE AN IMPACT ON THE TIMING OF THAT. THEY ARE OBLIGATED, UNDER ABOUT A 30 DAY WINDOW OF TIME TO PROVIDE A FORMAL ROOT CAUSE ANALYSIS AND DOCUMENTATION ABOUT THE SPECIFICS AND SCOPE OF THE OUTAGE. WE WILL RECEIVE THAT WITHIN THAT PERIOD OF TIME OR THEY WILL BE IN CONTACT WITH US TO ASK FOR AN EXTENSION. >>WHAT IS THE MECHANISM BY WHICH THEY ARE REQUIRED OR COMPELLED TO PROVIDE THAT REPORT ? >>I BELIEVE IT IS JUST PART OF THE AGREEMENT. THEY ARE THE VENDOR AT THIS POINT FOR E 911. >>ARE THEY THE ONLY VENDOR FOR E 911? DO WE HAVE ANY DIVERSITY? I KNOW THERE WAS A NOTE WITHIN THE PRESENTATION THAT ONE OF THE LESSONS LEARNED IS THAT WE SHOULD HAVE INCREASED NETWORK AND DIVERSIFICATION IN THE SYSTEM. >>ONE OF THE THINGS ABOUT THIS IS THAT WE ARE COMPLETELY RELIANT ON THE STATE AND THE COUNTY FOR THIS. THERE IS A PROJECT UNDERWAY THAT WILL PROVIDE DIVERSITY BOTH WITHIN CARRIERS SO IT WOULD NOT, IN THIS CASE, IT BEAT JUST CENTURY LINK OR COMTECH. THEY EACH HAVE A DIFFERENT PART IN THIS. THAT PROJECT THAT WILL BRING ABOUT SOME OF THIS DIVERSITY IS IN ITS INFANCY. I THINK WE ARE HOPING TO PUT TOGETHER THE DOCUMENTATION TO GO OUT THIS YEAR SO IT IS PROBABLY A MULTI YEAR STAGE AT THIS POINT. THAT WILL GO TOWARDS ADDRESSING SOME OF WHAT YOU ARE ASKING. >>OKAY. >>IN SEVERAL YEARS. >>THAT IS AT A REGIONAL LEVEL IS MY UNDERSTANDING. THE STATE EIS NET 2 IS IN PLACE AND I DON’T THINK THAT HAS MORE THAN ONE VENDOR. IT IS, AS YOU KNOW, MANY LAYERS. >>THERE IS AN INCREDIBLE AMOUNT OF LAYERS. I THINK THE COMPLEXITY OF THE PROJECT IS WHAT LED TO THE DESIRE TO WORK AS A REGION ON SOME OF THESE ISSUES RELATED TO THE PEACE APPS AND GOVERNANCE WAS A BIG PART OF THOSE REGIONAL CONVERSATIONS BUT ALSO, FINDING SOME SORT OF CONFORMITY AND CONSISTENCY IN TERMS OF THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF TECH KNOWLEDGE HE THAT ARE BEING USED AT THE PEACE APPS TO ALLOW FOR A LEVEL OF REDUNDANCIES THAT WILL BE A FAILSAFE IF SOMETHING LIKE THIS OCCURS IN THE FUTURE. I AM CONCERNED THAT WE HAVE MADE CONSIDERABLE PROGRESS IN TERMS OF AGREEMENT AS A REGION IN THE DIRECTION THAT WE ARE HEADED BUT, THE REALITY AROUND THE POTENTIAL IMPACT TO PUBLIC SAFETY MEETING THE NEEDS OF FOLKS WHO NEED EMERGENCY SERVICES WHEN WE DON’T HAVE THE DIVERSITY AND THE TELECOMMUNICATIONS PLATFORMS THAT WE KNEW NEED IS VERY CONCERNING TO ME AND TO OTHERS ON THE COUNCIL. I THINK WE NEED TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET MORE CLEAR ANSWERS AND A BETTER SENSE OF TIMELINE INTO A BETTER JOB OF COMMUNICATING A SENSE OF URGENCY AROUND ADDRESSING SOME OF THESE DEFICIENCIES. SO MAYBE SOMEBODY CAN HELP ME DO THAT. >>I THINK TO PICK UP WHERE WE LEFT OFF HERE, WERE EMERGENCY RESPONSES DELAYED DUE TO THE OUTAGE? AS I MENTIONED EARLIER, WE DON’T HAVE ENOUGH INFORMATION QUITE YET TO BE ABLE TO PROPERLY REACH ANY CONCLUSIONS FROM THIS. I THINK THAT THERE IS ABOUT FIVE DAYS LEFT ON THAT 30 DAYS THAT THEY ARE OBLIGATED TO PROVIDE THAT REPORT WITHIN. WE HAVE ALSO MADE REQUESTS FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION IN REFERENCE TO THE MISSED CALLS AND IF THERE IS A SMALL EVENT WE GET THOSE IN A FAIRLY TIMELY WAY AND WE TAKE AN ACTIVE APPROACH TOWARDS REACHING OUT TO THEM. THIS IS A RATHER SIZABLE EVENT AND NOW SOME TIME HAS GONE BY. I AM NOT SURE OF THE PRACTICALITY OF SOME OF THAT BUT WE DO INTEND TO GET ALL OF THE INFORMATION FROM THEM THAT WE CAN IN ORDER TO MAKE THAT ASSESSMENT. THE QUESTION ABOUT WHAT THE CITY PROTOCOLS ARE FOR RESPONDING TO THESE TYPES OF EVENTS — NORMALLY THERE IS A TERTIARY OPTION RELATED TO TELEVISION SERVICES. DUE TO THE NATURE AND MAGNITUDE OF THE EVENT THAT WE HAD HERE, THIS WAS NOT FEASIBLE FOR US TO DO. AS A RESULT, COMMUNICATION TO THE PUBLIC WAS PARAMOUNT IN TRYING TO GET OUT THE INFORMATION THAT THEY NEEDED TO USE THE 10 DIGIT TELEPHONE NUMBER. AND THE TEXTING OPTION IN ORDER TO REACH OUT. >>SO I WENT TO S SOME QUESTIONS ABOUT THAT. THESE TWO OUTAGES HAPPENED WITHIN A DOZEN HOURS OF EACH OTHER. IN THE FIRST INSTANCE, WITH A SHORT OUTAGE, ENGAGEMENT WITH THE PIO, ESPECIALLY SINCE IT WAS OVERNIGHT, MAKES A LOT OF SENSE. THAT THERE WAS NOT A WHOLE LOT OF INFORMATION THAT YOU PROVIDED US ABOUT THE ENGAGEMENT WITH ANY PIO PEOPLE. THE IDEA OF TRYING TO CONTACT 911 AND NOT BEING ABLE TO GET A HOLD OF ANYBODY IS PRETTY SCARY. BUT IT WAS THE SECOND OUTAGE WHERE THERE WAS A 1.5 HOUR DELAY BEFORE CONTACTING A PIO AND THEN A LITTLE WHILE AFTER THAT BEFORE THAT INFORMATION WAS BEING SHARED. OVER THE COURSE OF THAT 11 HOUR OUTAGE, IT SEEMS LIKE HAVING HAD THE PREVIOUS NIGHTS EXPERIENCES WE SHOULD HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH PIO MORE QUICKLY THAN A 90 MINUTE DELAY BEFORE BEFORE THE FIRST COMMUNICATION ABOUT THE ADAGE AND ADDITIONALLY GETTING THAT INFORMATION OUT BY THE PIO TOOK SEVERAL HOURS AS WELL. CAN YOU TALK A LITTLE BIT ABOUT WHAT REFORMS YOU MIGHT BE PROPOSING TO PROTOCOLS THAT WOULD ENCOURAGE A MORE SWIFT COMMUNICATION WITH PIO OUT TO THE PUBLIC ABOUT THE OUTAGE. IT JUST SEEMS TO ME LIKE AN HOUR AND A HALF BEFORE THAT COMMUNICATION AND THEN ANOTHER 2 1/2 HOURS BEFORE THE PIO WAS EVEN TWEETING ABOUT THAT, WHICH IS A PLATFORM THAT SOME PEOPLE HAVE ACCESS TO AND SOME DON’T. I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW HOW THE AFTER EFFECTS OF THIS LONGER- TERM OUTAGE OF 11.5 HOURS HAVE CHANGED SOME OF THE PROTOCOLS ABOUT ENGAGEMENT WITH PIO. >>SURE. AND FOR ANYBODY THAT HAS ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT THIS, PLEASE SHARE. IN GENERAL, WE ARE LOOKING AT THE EVENT NOW, AFTER IT OCCURRED AND COMING OFF OF THE FIRST INCIDENT THAT LASTED A FAIRLY SHORT PERIOD OF TIME, THERE WAS A LOT GOING ON DURING THAT TIME IN ORDER TO DO TO YOU TO FIGURE OUT WHAT WAS GOING ON AND WHAT MAY BE THE APPROPRIATE MESSAGE WAS TO SEND. I WILL NEED TO REACH BACK OUT TO OUR PIO TO GET GOOD INFORMATION FOR YOU AND I AM HAPPY TO DO THAT IN ORDER TO FIND OUT EXACTLY WHERE ALL OF THE, COMMUNICATION BEGAN AND WHAT WENT INTO THE PLANNING AND WHEN THEY ELECTED TO GET THAT INFORMATION OUT. I KNOW WE HAVE A COUPLE OF DIFFERENT POINTS SET UP ON THE TIMELINE HERE BUT I THINK THAT IS DIFFERENT THAN THE ACTIVITY THAT WAS GOING ON BEHIND THE SCENES. >>I CAN ADD TO THAT A LITTLE BIT COUNCIL MEMBER. THE OUTAGE WAS NOT REALLY ON OR OFF. THROUGHOUT THE DAY THERE WERE THINGS THAT WERE GROWING AND SHRINKING. PART OF THAT WAS TRYING TO ASSESS OR DO A SIZE UP AS FAR AS WHAT STILL WORKED. BEFORE WE JUST LAUNCHED WITH THESE 10 DIGIT OR BACKUP 911 NUMBERS WE WANTED TO MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE THAT FIRST, 911 WAS NOT WORKING FOR US AND THERE WAS NOTHING WE COULD DO TO FIX IT LOCALLY. AND THAT WAS WIDESPREAD AS WELL. SO THAT WE COULD NOT WORK WITH PARTNER AGENCIES AROUND THE AREA TO GIVE THEM ALTERNATIVES. THE TIMELINES MAY BE A LITTLE MISLEADING IN THAT REGARD. IT WAS NOT LIKE PEOPLE WERE JUST WAITING AND THEN AT THE LAST MINUTE WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. I WILL LET YOU YOU FINISH YOUR COMMENTS BUT I CAN ADDRESS FOR YOU WHAT WE WERE DOING BEHIND THE SCENES IN THAT REGARD IF IT WOULD HELP. >>THAT IS HELPFUL CONTEXT. THANK YOU. FOR ME, AS SOMEBODY WHO IS NOT STEEPED IN TWO YEARS OF TRAINING ON THIS, BUT IS WHAT IS IMPORTANT TO UNDERSTAND IS THE LESSONS THAT WE MIGHT HAVE LEARNED AFTER THIS LONGER-TERM OUTAGE. IT FEELS LIKE WE GOT EMERGENCY HELP FROM TECH SUPPORT FROM VENDORS AND GOT THE PROBLEM FIXED AND THAT IS AN EVENT THAT IS UNFORTUNATE BUT PROBABLY DID NOT NECESSITATE WIDESPREAD COMMUNICATION HOWEVER, ANY INTERMITTENT LOSS OVER A LONGER PERIOD OF TIME FEELS LIKE THE KIND OF THING THAT THERE SHOULD BE A TIME PERIOD PROTOCOL BY WHICH ALL OF THE SUDDEN, ALL PIO ARE NOTIFIED AND THEY NEED TO DEVELOP A COMMUNICATIONS PLAN TO GO OUT TO THE VARIOUS CHANNELS THAT THEY WANT TO COMMUNICATE OUT WITH THE CHALLENGES WERE CONTACTED 911. IT REMINDS ME A LOT OF THE EMERGENCY NOTEBOOK THAT BARB MAKES US HAVE OR THAT MONICA SIMMONS MAKES ME HAVE AT MY HOUSE. >>AND WE THANK THEM FOR THAT. >>WE ABSOLUTELY DO. I KNOW WHEN SOMETHING HAPPENS, THAT BOOK EXISTS AND I CAN REFER TO THAT AND IT GIVES ME THE PLAYBOOK OF WHAT I SHOULD BE DOING AT THAT POINT IN TIME. WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR HERE IS AS WE GET FURTHER AWAY FROM THIS EVENT, HOW HAVE WE LEARNED FROM THIS IN ORDER TO UPDATE THOSE PLAYBOOKS SO THAT THE NEXT TIME AROUND WHEN WE REACH MINUTE 29, AT MINUTE 30 WE SHOULD BE CONTACTING THE PIO TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE AWARE. I THINK THESE LEARNING EVENTS ARE REALLY IMPORTANT FOR US AND IT HELPS US CONTINUE TO UPDATE OUR PROTOCOLS. THAT IS ALL I WAS OFFERING. >>WE ACTUALLY, DURING THE DAY, WE MADE NOTIFICATIONS TO THE PIO DOES. DURING THAT DAY, IT WAS JUST A LONG DISTANCE COMPONENT. WE TESTED AND VERIFIED THAT. WE TESTED THE TEXT TO 911 DURING THE DAY AND NIGHT AND AS YOU WERE SAYING, COUNCIL MEMBER, THAT WORKED THROUGHOUT THE DURATION. ONE OF THE THINGS THAT WE FOUND WAS THE LONG DISTANCE COMPONENT OR THE TRUNK COMPONENT WAS STARTING TO FAIL. WE WERE FIRST IS NOTIFIED ABOUT THAT FROM THE DISPATCH CENTER IN THE BELLEVUE AREA. THEY WERE HAVING TROUBLE RECEIVING AND SENDING 911 CALLS TO THE 911 CENTERS UP IN SNOHOMISH COUNTY. SO, THE SEATTLE FIRE DISPATCH CENTER REACHED OUT TO ALL OF THE 911 CENTERS THAT WOULD BE LONG DISTANCE THAT WE WORK WITH TO MAKE SURE THAT THEY WERE, AT THAT TIME, MONITORING THE BACKUP SYSTEMS THAT WE HAVE IN PLACE WITH OUR RADIO INFRASTRUCTURE SO THAT IF WE NEEDED TO TRANSFER INFORMATION, EVEN THOUGH WE COULD NOT TRANSFER THE CALLS, WE COULD GET A HOLD OF THEM AND THEN WE REACH OUT TO ALL OF THE OTHER 911 CENTERS WITHIN KING COUNTY. SO WE MADE SURE DURING THE DAY THAT BEFORE THINGS GOT BAD THAT THINGS WERE WORKING IN THAT REGARD. SO EVERYBODY WAS ABLE TO PASS INFORMATION AND THEN RECEIVED 911 CALLS THERE. THAT GOT US THROUGH THE DAY AND THEN THINGS GOT BETTER IN THE AFTERNOON. SO, AS YOU WERE SAYING, AT ABOUT 8:00 OR 830 THAT EVENING IS WHEN WE WERE NOTIFIED BY POLICE THAT THE SYSTEM WAS DOWN AGAIN. SO WE ACTUALLY RESPONDED TO OUR 911 DISPATCH CENTER AND WE NOTIFIED THE PIO RIGHT AWAY. SO THEY WERE STARTING TO COME INTO THE LOOP WITHIN 20-30 MINUTES, ABOUT THE SAME TIME THAT WE WERE. SO THERE IS THAT SIZE UP ELEMENT OF HOW BAD IS IT, HOW FAR-REACHING IS IT. ONCE WE CONFIRM THAT EVERYBODY WAS LISTENING TO THE BACKUP SYSTEMS, ONE OF THE FIRST THINGS WE DIRECTED THE PIO TO DO AS WE WERE TRYING TO QUANTIFY THE NATURE OF THIS OUTAGE WAS TO START MONITORING THE SOCIAL MEDIA FEEDS LIKE TWITTER, INSTAGRAM AND FACEBOOK. WE WANTED TO SEE WHAT OTHER REGIONAL PARTNERS WERE EXPERIENCING AS A BACKUP TO OUR INFORMATION STREAMS AND TO SEE IF PEOPLE WERE REPORTING INFORMATION OR IF PEOPLE WERE SAYING THEY WERE TRYING TO CALL 911 AND COULD NOT GET THROUGH. WE FOUND OUT IN THE LAST FEW YEARS THAT PAT PEOPLE WOULD RESORT TO SOME OF THOSE SOCIAL MEDIA FEEDS TO REPORT EMERGENCIES. SO THAT WAS A GOOD PART FOR US. IN ADDITION, THE PIO SAND US STARTED THAT COORDINATION EFFORT WITH THE OTHER DISPATCH CENTERS AND KING COUNTY 911. ONCE WE MADE THE DETERMINATION THAT THIS WAS CONTINUING TO GET WORSE AND WE WERE NOT HEARING BACK FROM THE PROVIDER WE WERE FINDING OUT FROM THE STATE THAT THIS WAS HAPPENING IN OTHER COUNTIES. THAT IS WHEN WE DECIDED THAT WE NEED TO GIVE PEOPLE THE ALTERNATIVE. OUR PIO STARTED WORKING WITH POLICE PIO TO CRAFT THE MESSAGE. THE MESSAGING FOR THAT, AND YOU ALLUDED TO THE PLAYBOOK, THIS WAS SUCH A UNIQUE EXPERIENCE. WANTED TO MAKE SURE THAT WE CRAFTED IT VERY WELL. ONE OF THE THINGS THAT WE FOUND IN THE PREVIOUS 911 OUTAGE A FEW YEARS AGO AND OTHER EXPERIENCES IS THAT MESSAGE DOES NOT PERTAIN TO THE EVENT. WHEN YOU GIVE THOSE 10 DIGIT NUMBERS OUT, PEOPLE HOLD ONTO THOSE FOUR YEARS IF NOT DECADES AND THEY WILL CONTINUE TO CALL 911 ON THOSE NUMBERS. WE WANTED TO MAKE SURE THAT WE HAD THE RIGHT NUMBERS AND WE WERE REACHING THE RIGHT AUDIENCE FOR THAT AND THAT IT WAS GETTING HELP TO THE PEOPLE THAT NEEDED IT THE MOST. SO WE STARTED SETTING THAT MESSAGE OUT AND WE WANTED TO SEND THE SAME MESSAGE AS OTHER 911 CENTERS. ONE OF THE THINGS THAT WAS A LITTLE FRUSTRATING FOR US IS THAT WE WERE HOPING FOR A LITTLE MORE CENTRALIZED MESSAGE FROM THE COUNTY. KNOWING THAT CITIZENS IN SEATTLE ARE WATCHING NEWSFEEDS AND KNOWING THAT THERE ARE OTHER PEOPLE THAT COULD BE ON BORDERING CITIES THAT GET THE SAME MESSAGING AND THEY MAY NOT KNOW THAT IT IS SEATTLE THAT ANSWERS IN 911 CALLER OR OTHER DISPATCH CENTER. SO WE WERE HOPING FOR A MORE CONSOLIDATED MESSAGING FROM KING COUNTY 911. UNFORTUNATELY THAT DID NOT HAPPEN AND WE ARE TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO IMPROVE ON THAT. WHAT YOU DID START TO SEE IS ON THE NEWSFEEDS WAS THE DISK COORDINATION. WE STARTED TO SEE IF YOU’RE HAVING AN EMERGENCY HERE IS THE 10 DIGIT NUMBER TO CALL AND THEN THERE WERE ADDENDUM SAYING IF YOU ARE IN BELLEVUE OR REDMOND OR WHATNOT. AND, WHAT WE WERE HOPING FOR FROM KING COUNTY 911 AND THERE PIO WAS TO, WHEN WE SAW THAT WAS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN IS THAT IS WHEN POLICE AND FIRE DECIDED TO TAKE CARE OF THE FOLKS OF SEATTLE. THAT IS WHEN YOU SAW THE ALERT SEATTLE COME OUT. THAT REACHED JUST UNDER HALF 1 MILLION PEOPLE. THEY HAD ALREADY REACHED THE MEDIA AND WE HAD BEEN QUEUED UP IN THE DIFFERENT TV FEEDS FOR THAT MESSAGING TO GO OUT. THAT IS WHEN SOCIAL MEDIA WENT OUT AS WELL TO GIVE THOSE ALTERNATIVE NUMBERS TO CALL. >>ALTHOUGH I MYSELF HAD THE SENSE TO BE ON VACATION AT THE TIME, OUR DEPUTY DIRECTOR WAS THOROUGHLY ENGAGED FROM THE EARLY MORNING TIME AS WELL. SO IN ADDITION TO EVERYTHING THAT MARK AND CHRIS ALREADY BROUGHT UP, THERE ARE OTHER THINGS THAT THE OFFICE OF EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT WAS DOING AS WELL. >>WE WERE ENGAGED FROM THE ONSET WHEN THEY HAD THE FIRST 1 AM OUTAGE AND WE WERE IN THE LOOP ON THE COMMUNICATIONS FOR THAT. IN THE MORNING WE REACHED OUT TO OUR COUNTERPARTS IN KING COUNTY AS WELL AS WASHINGTON STATE EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT TO MAKE SURE WE HAVE SITUATIONAL AWARENESS BEYOND WHAT THE PIECE APPS ARE GETTING FROM THEIR CHANNELS. IN THE AFTERNOON WE PLANTED A SEED THAT IF FOR ANY REASON THE SYSTEM BECAME UNSTABLE AGAIN, WHAT DO WE NEED TO DO FOR MY MESSAGING PERSPECTIVE. AND THE POI WERE ALREADY ON IT. THEY WERE READY TO GET GEARED UP AS NECESSARY. THERE WAS A DISCONNECT OF, CLEARLY WE GOT OUR ALERT SEATTLE MESSAGE PUSHED OUT. KING COUNTY HAS A VERY SIMILAR SITUATION AND THEY PUSHED OUT THEIR ALERT SYSTEM MESSAGE AND NOT TOO MUCH AFTER THAT WE SAW THE EMERGENCY ALERT SYSTEM MESSAGES THAT ONE OUT STATEWIDE. I WANT TO RECOGNIZE OUR COUNTERPARTS IN THE EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM. THEY WERE PUSHING OUT REGULAR ALERTS AND WE WERE ENGAGED IN THOSE UPDATES AS WELL. JUST FROM THE TAIL AND, THANK GOODNESS THE SYSTEM BECAME STABLE. AS WE GOT INTO FRIDAY. WE WERE LEANING FORWARD APPROPRIATELY SO WE ALREADY HAD A MESSAGE PUSHED OUT AND WE HAD A GENERIC MESSAGE READY TO GO IF FOR ANY REASON THE SYSTEM BECAME UNSTABLE AGAIN. IN ADDITION TO THAT, OUR COUNTERPARTS IN THE OFFICE OF IMMIGRANT AND REFUGEE AFFAIRS HAD TAKEN THAT GENERIC MESSAGES AND TRANSLATED INTO SIX LANGUAGES. SO WE WERE READY, IF NEED BE, TO PUSH IT OUT TO MULTIPLE LANGUAGES. WHICH IS A LARGER ISSUE THAT WE NEED TO FACE FROM A STATEWIDE PER SPOT IF THAT IS THE ABILITY TO PUSH OUT IN MULTIPLE LANGUAGES. >>YOU HAD ASKED, COUNCIL MEMBERS, WHAT WAS THE IMPACT AND DO WE KNOW. I KNOW THE FIRE DEPARTMENT AND THE POLICE DEPARTMENT TODAY TIME OVER COMPARISON. WE DO KNOW THAT WE MISSED 911 CALLS. DEPENDING ON THE HOUR, UPWARDS OF A 60% DROP IN CALL VOLUME THROUGH THE 911 LINES. WE DON’T KNOW WHAT THOSE WERE. SO WE HAVE NOT RECEIVED ANY REPORTS AT THIS POINT. YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN NOTIFIED BY NOW IF THERE WAS A BIG FIRE IF THERE WAS SOMETHING THAT WE DID NOT RESPOND TO. WHILE WE KNOW THAT THE CALL VOLUME DROP SIGNIFICANTLY, WE DON’T KNOW WHAT THE RESULT OF THAT WAS AS FAR AS IMPACT TO THE CITIZENS AT THIS POINT. >>AND WE DON’T HAVE ANY, AT THIS JUNCTURE ANY INFORMATION OR UNDERSTANDING OF WHY THE FAILURE OCCURRED IN THE FIRST PLACE. >>NO. THEY ARE STILL IN THE MIDST OF WORKING THROUGH THAT BOTH KING COUNTY 911 AND CENTURY LINK IS. AND THAT REALLY IS WHERE THE ISSUE OCCURRED. >>THE PUBLICLY AVAILABLE INFORMATION THAT WE ARE ABLE TO SEE IS THAT IT STARTED SOMEWHERE IN THE SOUTHEAST AROUND THE LOUISIANA AREA. IT SPREAD THROUGHOUT THE UNITED STATES. SO THE IMPACT OF THIS WAS HUGE. IT WAS WAY BEYOND ANYTHING JUST LOCAL HERE TO THE CITIZENS OF SEATTLE. AS SUCH, THE FORENSICS ON THIS WILL PROBABLY BE MONTHS IN THE MAKING AS FAR AS GETTING ALL OF THE NITTY-GRITTY DETAILS AND WHATNOT. AS YOU WERE ALLUDING THERE ARE OBLIGATIONS FOR THEY NEED TO REPORT TO US. THE FCC IS ALSO INVESTIGATING THIS SO THIS IS GETTING ATTENTION AT THE HIGHEST LEVELS THROUGHOUT THE NATION. WE WILL MAKE THAT INFORMATION AVAILABLE TO YOU AS WE FIND IT OUT. >>THAT WOULD BE HELPFUL. AND THEN AGAIN, THE LESSONS LEARNED AND HOW THAT IMPACTS OUR PROTOCOLS AND, AN HONEST ASSESSMENT OF OF OUR OWN RESPONSE AND WHAT COULD BE DONE BETTER LOCALLY AND AS A REGIONAL PARTNER IN THIS SPACE, WHAT CAN WE DO BETTER AND HOW CAN WE EFFECTIVELY COMMUNICATE THOSE LESSONS LEARNED TO OUR REGIONAL PARTNERS IN THIS SPACE. I THINK THAT IS THE CRITICAL PIECE OF THE FOLLOW-UP AND I THINK IT WOULD BE HELPFUL IF YOU HELPED US TRACK THAT HERE ON CITY COUNCIL TO MAKE SURE THAT BODY OF WORK IS CONTINUING TO OCCUR AND THAT WE ARE REALLY BEING TRUE TO MAKING SURE THAT THE GENERAL PUBLIC UNDERSTANDS THAT WE APPRECIATE AND UNDERSTAND THAT THIS SHOULD NOT HAPPEN AND THAT WE SHARE THEIR DISAPPOINTMENT IN THE FACT THAT IT HAPPENED BUT WHEN IT DOES HAPPEN, WE ARE AT THE READY TO CONTINUE TO MEET THE PUBLIC SAFETY NEEDS OF THE PEOPLE VISITING, LIVING AND WORKING IN OUR CITY. THAT IS AN INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT PART OF OUR DUTY AS PUBLIC SERVANTS, TO MAKE SURE THAT WE ARE FULFILLING THAT PUBLIC COMMITMENT AND THAT WE ARE NOT LETTING THE PUBLIC DOWN IN TERMS OF OUR BASIC OBLIGATION TO MEET THOSE FUNDAMENTAL INFRASTRUCTURE AND PUBLIC SAFETY NEEDS. THAT IS PART OF THE REASON THAT I WANTED TO MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO COME TO COMMITTEE SO THAT THE PUBLIC HAD A GOOD UNDERSTANDING THAT WE WERE IN A LOT OF WAYS READY THROUGH PROTOCOL AND THAT WE UNDERSTAND WHAT WE NEEDED TO DO TO MAKE SURE THAT WE MET THOSE PUBLIC SAFETY NEEDS BUT THERE IS ALWAYS ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT AND THAT WE ARE WORKING AND ACTIVELY LOOKING FOR THOSE OPPORTUNITIES FOR IMPROVEMENT WITHIN THE SYSTEM AND WITHIN OUR OWN RESPONSE TO MAKE SURE THAT WE DO RIGHT BY THE FOLKS THAT LIVE, WORK AND VISIT HERE. COUNCILMEMBER JOHNSON. >>A MORE SPECIFIC QUESTION, WHAT ARE WE DOING TO IMPROVE REDUNDANCY? IT SOUNDS LIKE THIS IS A NATIONAL PROGRAM SUPPORTED BY STATE, CITY AND COUNTY ORGANIZATIONS. WHAT IS BEING DONE? >>THAT IS PERFECT TIMING. THAT IS UP NEXT. WE ARE WORKING TOWARDS A NEW ARCHITECTURE THAT WILL PROVIDE SUCH A MODEL. IT WILL PROVIDE REDUNDANCY, SECURITY AND SOME SORT OF FAILSAFE FEATURES. IT WILL ALSO PROVIDE SOME NETWORK CARRIER DIVERSITY AND I THINK THAT WAS MENTIONED EARLIER AS WELL. IT IS A LARGE PROJECT. AND IT IS EARLY ON IN THE PROJECT SO I BELIEVE WITHIN THIS CALENDAR YEAR THEY ARE HOPE BEING TO PUT TOGETHER THE DOCUMENTS TO BE ABLE TO GO OUT TO BID ON IT. IT PROBABLY IS A COUPLE OF YEARS AWAY IN TERMS OF COMING TO FRUITION. >>IF I COULD ALSO MENTION THEY ARE ABOUT $70 MILLION UNDERFUNDED. >>THERE IS A FISCAL CLIFF. RELATED TO HOW WE FUND AT THE COUNTY LEVEL, OUR EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM THAT WILL REQUIRE SOME SORT OF REVENUE ADJUSTMENT OR FIT IN A FUTURE LEGISLATIVE SESSION. AND I THINK THAT FISCAL CLIFF HAD BEEN ANTICIPATED FOR 2020. >>NOW IT IS 2023 I THINK. >>IN TERMS OF THE CITY OF SEATTLE, WE ARE ALWAYS INTERESTED IN BEING ABLE TO TAKE A LOOK AT PROTOCOLS AND PROCEDURES TO FIND OUT WHERE WE CAN DO BETTER WITHIN THIS INDUSTRY. WE DO PLAN TO TAKE INFORMATION THAT WE GO ALONG WITH THE OTHER INFORMATION THAT WE HAVE TO CONTINUE TO ASSESS HOW THE EVENT WENT, HOW WE RESPOND TO IT AND WHERE WE CAN MAKE IMPROVEMENTS. AND TO CONTINUE TAKE ON ANY OTHER FURTHER QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS. AS WAS MENTIONED, IT WAS UNIQUE IN THE WAY THAT IT WAS ROLLING THROUGH THE DAY AND DID NOT HAVE SOME OF THOSE NICE START AND STOPS. SO EVALUATING WHERE THE DECISION POINTS ARE I THINK WILL BE BENEFICIAL TO EVERYBODY IN BOTH CENTERS. >>IN TERMS OF THE REPORTING THAT CENTURY LINK HAS TO DO, I KNOW THEY HAVE TO REPORT TO US HOW MANY CALLS DID NOT CONNECT, IS THERE ANY OTHER DATA OR INFORMATION THAT CENTURY LINK IS REQUIRED TO PROVIDE US AS PART OF THIS REPORT IN THE CONTEXT OF THIS INCIDENT OR IS THERE ANY OTHER INFORMATION THAT WE SHOULD BE ASKING CENTURYLINK TO PROVIDE US TO BE ABLE TO BETTER ANALYZE SOME OF THE SYSTEM VULNERABILITIES AND IMPROVEMENTS THAT CAN BE MADE OR HOW THE CITY CAN UPDATE OUR OWN PROTOCOLS TO BE MORE RESPONSIVE TO WHAT ACTUALLY OCCURRED. >>WITHIN THE INFORMATION THAT WE TYPICALLY GET FROM THEM, IT GETS DOWN TO THE CALL THAT DID NOT CONNECT. SO DOWN TO THE PHONE NUMBER OF THE CALL THAT DID NOT COME INTO THE CENTER. AGAIN, TYPICALLY, THESE HAVE NOT BEEN AS LARGE OR HAVE GONE ON FOR AS LONG SO WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A LARGE AMOUNT OF DATA HERE. I ALSO ANTICIPATE THAT WHEN WE RECEIVE INFORMATION FROM THEM THAT WE ARE GOING TO HAVE SOME FOLLOW-UP QUESTIONS AND PROBABLY NEED TO ASK SOME ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS AND INFORMATION. AT THIS POINT, I AM NOT QUITE SURE OF THAT ANSWER. I AM HAPPY TO SHARE WHAT WE COME UP WITH AS WE LEARN MORE ABOUT IT. >>PART OF THEIR REPORT IS A ROOT CAUSE ANALYSIS. THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO GET DOWN TO THE SPECIFICS OF WHAT CAUSED IT AND THEIR ACTION ON WHAT THEY ARE DOING TO ADDRESS THE ROOT CAUSE. >>WILL OUR FOLLOW-UP WORK CONSIST OF USING OUR OWN STAFFING RESOURCES TO CIRCLE BACK AROUND TO THE PEOPLE WHO MIGHT HAVE MISSED SO THAT WE HAVE A BETTER UNDERSTANDING ABOUT THE 60% DROP OR WHETHER IT WAS JUST GOOD FORTUNE ACCOUNTING FOR MOST OF IT? OR IF THERE WERE EMERGENCIES? TO FOLLOW UP WITH A SUBSET, I KNOW THAT WE ARE NOT GOING TO CALL EVERYONE THAT COULD NOT CONNECT BUT TO HAVE A BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT WE MISSED. >>THAT IS SOME OF THE WORK THAT HAS BEEN DONE IN PAST OUTAGES. WHERE TYPICALLY THE CENTER WILL MAKE SOME OF THOSE CALLS BACK. I WILL BE GETTING WITH THE CENTER TO SEE EXACTLY WHAT THE PLAN IS. PART OF THAT WILL BE ABOUT SEEING EXACTLY WHAT THIS LOOKS LIKE AND WHAT THE AMOUNT OF INFORMATION IS. I WILL GET BACK TO YOU ON THAT. >>I SUSPECT THAT DEPENDING ON THE VOLUME OF THE CALLS THAT WERE NOT ABLE TO CONNECT WE CAN THEN MAKE AN EVALUATION OF WHAT A STATISTICALLY SIGNIFICANT REPRESENTATION OF THOSE NUMBERS WOULD BE AND THEN WORK FROM THERE. >>RIGHT. WE ARE GETTING AT THE POINT I WAS GOING TO MAKE AS WE WRAP UP AND THAT IS TO SAY THAT IF WE DISCOVER THAT IN THE COURSE OF THE FOLLOW-UP CONVERSATIONS THAT THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE WERE CELL PHONE USERS FROM A LONG DISTANCE ALTHOUGH THEY HAPPEN TO BE SEATTLE RESIDENTS AND THEY ALSO ALL HAPPENED TO THEREFORE BE IN THEIR 20s AND 30s, A RESPONSE IN THE FUTURE WHEN WE HAVE THIS KIND OF PROBLEM COULD BE MORE SOCIAL MEDIA FOCUSED THAN GOING ON TV OR RADIO. SO, WE ARE GETTING A DEEPER DIVE INTO THE DATA ABOUT WHO WE MISSED AND THE CONSEQUENCES OF THOSE ACTIONS. I THINK THAT WOULD BE HELPFUL IN DETERMINING COURSE CORRECTIONS FOR FUTURE CHALLENGES. >>YES. ANOTHER THING WE COULD VOLUNTEER TO DO IS THAT THE ATTORNEY GENERAL’S OFFICE HAS DONE A REAL PUBLIC OUTREACH TO FIND OUT WHAT WAS THE HARM DONE? WHO IS IMPACTED BY THIS? THEY ARE GOING TO WANT TO MAKE THEIR CASE AND FEED THAT INTO THE FCC INVESTIGATION AS WELL. WE WOULD BE HAPPY TO FOLLOW UP WITH THEIR OFFICE AND LET THEM KNOW WE ARE INTERESTED IN THE SEATTLE STORIES. >>I THINK THAT WOULD BE A REALLY GOOD IDEA. >>DID WE MAKE IT THROUGH THE PRESENTATION? IS THIS IT? I THINK WE HAVE BEEN JUMPING AROUND A LITTLE BIT. OKAY, ANYTHING ELSE TO ADD? >>THE ONLY THING THAT I WILL ADD IS THAT MANY OF THE PROTOCOL THAT YOU USED DURING THIS OUTAGE WERE THINGS THAT WE LEARNED FROM THE OUTAGE IN 2014 AND THAT WAS MORE REGIONAL TO THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST. THE EARLY DEPLOYMENT OF THE PIO , THE COORDINATION, OUR PLEDGE TO YOU IS TO CONTINUE AND ANALYZE THIS AND HOW WE CAN CONTINUE TO DO IT BETTER. THERE WAS SOME AFFIRMATION TO SOME OF THE ITEMS THAT WE PUT IN PLACE AFTER THE PREVIOUS ONE AND THAT THEY WERE SUCCESS IN SUCCESSFUL IN BRIDGING THE GAPS. >>IF I COULD JUST OFFER, OF THE THOUSANDS OF SERVICES THAT THE CITY PROVIDES, PERHAPS IN MY MIND, THE MOST IMPORTANT ARE PEOPLE WHO ARE TRAINED AND COMPETENT AT CALL TAKING AND DISPATCHING. MY COMPLEMENTS TO THE PEOPLE WHO STAFF THE FIRE ALARM CENTER AND THE 911 DISPATCH CENTER. THEY DO A VERY PROFESSIONAL JOB UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES. >>I APPRECIATE THAT YOU MENTIONED THAT BARB. BOTH CENTERS, TO INCLUDE PIO SEND OTHER STAFF DID A REALLY GOOD JOB OVER THE COURSE OF THIS PERIOD OF TIME WHERE A LOT OF THE CIRCUMSTANCES AT THE TIME WERE VERY MUCH UNKNOWN AND IT WAS DIFFICULT IN SOME CASES MORE DIFFICULT BECAUSE IT WAS A NATIONAL PROBLEM AS OPPOSED TO JUST GETTING LOCAL ATTENTION. THEY DID A FANTASTIC JOB. >>THE PARTNERSHIPS TO BETWEEN POLICE AND FIRE, STARTING AT THE TOP ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE DISPATCHERS ARE INVALUABLE. THE FACT THAT WE KNOW WHO TO CALL ON OUR PARTNER SIDE RIGHT AWAY AND START WORKING ON THIS IS INVALUABLE. THANK YOU. >>I WANT TO ECHO THAT THANKS AND THANKS TO ALL OF THE FOLKS WHO WERE IN THE CALL CENTERS AND HAVING TO TRIAGE THE ENTIRE SITUATION AS IT WAS HAPPENING IN WHAT APPEARED TO BE A VERY TENUOUS SITUATION WITH NOT A LOT OF ROBUST INFORMATION TO WORK WITH. SO I CAN ONLY IMAGINE HOW STRESSFUL THAT MUST HAVE BEEN. AND HOW HOPEFUL YOU ALL WERE IN TERMS OF IT ENDING VERY QUICKLY SO THAT WE CAN GET BACK TO BASICS IN TERMS OF HOW THE SYSTEM WORKS. I AM LOOKING FORWARD, AS A FOLLOW-UP, TO GETTING A BETTER UNDERSTANDING AND GETTING A GLANCE INTO THE ROOT CAUSE ANALYSIS, MAKING SURE THAT ONCE WE RECEIVE THAT INFORMATION THAT WE HAVE APPROPRIATELY RESPONDED TO UNDERSTANDING THOSE ROOT CAUSES AND OTHER PIECES OF THE SYSTEM TO MODIFY OUR OWN PROTOCOLS AND MAKE SURE THAT WE ARE DOING BETTER AND CONSTANTLY ENGAGING IN THE IMPROVEMENT PROCESS AND, JUST REALLY HOPING THAT WE CAN CONTINUE TO HAVE A REGIONAL COLLABORATIVE APPROACH WITH OTHER PARTNERS IN THIS SPACE TO MAKE SURE WE ARE GETTING AT THE MOST ACCURATE, CONCISE AND CLEAR INFORMATION TO PEOPLE WHO NEED TO ACCESS THESE EMERGENCY SERVICES. I REALLY SEE THAT AS AN IMPORTANT FUNCTION OF THE WORK HERE AND I SAW THAT AS ONE OF THE GAPS. THERE WAS A LOT OF GO HERE, GO THERE. AND I THINK THAT CREATED CONFUSION AND AND ANXIETY AMONG THOSE TRYING TO ACCESS THE SYSTEM. SO TO CONTROL AND MAKE SURE THAT THE PIO HAVE ALL OF THE CONSISTENT INFORMATION THAT THEY NEED, NOT JUST FOR OUR SYSTEM BUT FOR THE REGION. THAT IS REALLY IMPORTANT. I THINK THAT OUR PIO DID A GOOD JOB ONCE THEY UNDERSTANDING THE DEPTH OF THE ISSUE, THEY DID A GOOD JOB OF CONSISTENTLY GETTING OUT A MESSAGE. WHERE SAW INCONSISTENCY WAS IN REGIONAL PARTNERS NOT ACCURATELY COMMUNICATING WHO NEEDED TO BE CALLED BASED ON WHERE YOU ARE CALLING FROM. AND I THINK THERE IS A LOT OF IMPROVEMENT IN THAT ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT IN THAT SPACE. THAT IS THE LAST ITEM ON THE AGENDA. THERE IS NO MORE BUSINESS SO WE ARE ADJOURNED. THANK YOU.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *