RPS School Board Meeting – 06/04/19


this meeting of the independent school
district 535 school boards called to order at 5:42 p.m. Tuesday June the 4th
2019 in room 137 of the edison building pressing at the board table is mr.
Michael Nuno Superintendent of Schools and a non-voting ex officio member of
the board also present is miss Wendy Edgar
the assistant board clerk that’s that card would you please call the roll
miss Amundsen their chair Barlow sir miss Marvin yeah
miss Nathan here mr. Schussler here miss sealing her here
miss workman here after Abel let’s stand for the pledge 2.01 approval of agenda action item mr.
muñoz yes there are two changes to the agenda item 7:02 approval of history led
in the water management plan an item 703 approval of the 2019 district-wide radon
testing and results have been changed to an information item they do not require
board approval so it’s just kind of giving you an update on the results
second any discussion all in favor those announcements and communication 3.01
recognitions mr. Murray knows yes at this time I’ll call up our I
guess we’ll go one at a time high school principals to introduce their National
Merit Scholarship finalists so we’ll start with sentry high school Chris
poverty French port Center high school good evening members of the board
superintendent one us I said guard come on up here students face this way guys so we are delighted here to rep the
opportunity to celebrate our students in their achievement academically and not
only are these students well versed in the areas of academic study but also
leadership character and service that they’ve provided for Central High School
and the roster of public schools over the years now this has been a great
story having Nathan come to us on the end there one away of Nathan Nathan
Chad’s came to us from California this past year and as a senior it’s been a
joy having him at Central High School because whatever whatever school you
went to in California prepped you well and along with your parents so thank you
very much for joining our community this last year Jared Nathan have had an
opportunity to get to know for many many years as his older brother Gregory
Nathan was also a student at Central High School and also an jolly in her
leadership and work that she has committed herself to and also a century
high school so these three are able to join us along with them we have six
other students that I’d also like to recognize Brooks boy Helen Jin Lee
Michelle my grace O’Dell Brianna Jenna and Tracy Zhang and along with these
three are our nine National Merit finalists century high school for the
year 2019 congratulations stand up Oh if parents are here please
stand up and take her round of applause thank you next up Eric Johnson John
Marshall High School Principal good evening members of the board I am
very excited and happy and honored to present luke stein Kritzer who is John
Marshall’s National Merit honorary this year and I only got one year to get to
know Luke because I was only at John Marshall for one year but it was an
honor to work with him and I enjoyed talking with him pretty often and I
thank him for his leadership and we look forward to great things all right Tom
Olsen principal male high school thank you very much for helping us honor all
of our students we have ten students that were recognizing tonight to have
showed up I also want to add that this year my high school we had 46 4.0
seniors that graduated usually we’re at about the 20s so it’s off the charts but
tonight we have our our national merit students are Isabella Dunbar Alice gang
our das kann waar Sandhya Kumar Clare McKellen Cassidy Ingrid Wilder Kathryn
Williamson William yang and Marcus Yao I have to also add that this is group of
seniors not just did a lot for academically our school but our schools
culture changed over the last four years as the result of the leadership of
everyone that was part of this – and it’s quite a place to be so thank you
very much for everything we doing we’re looking forward to seeing what’s coming
up in the future for all of you parents that are here to support the students
please stand up and family we also have a sister who came back from
Vanderbilt – thank you 3.0 – above and beyond information mr. muñoz I good evening this is the april/may
above and beyond recognition and as usual I’ll read a couple examples
for you the first one was Mike Olsen teacher at Baldwin Elementary mr. Olsen
has been very professional and supportive part of my daughter supported
part of my daughter Haley and family throughout this school year we get
engulfed within our plight and lifestyle change mr. Olson will email text uplift
emphasize and shoot to us all how special Halle is he even joined the
voiceover he’s his ways of being has an unexpectedly transform three generations
of my family thank you mr. Olsen the second one is a Mary Brown from mighty
oaks Early Learning Center Mary is always willing to do whatever needs to
be done to keep our students safe she will volunteer to go out for a car
or bus duty even when it’s pouring rain she always has a smile and is kind and
loving to all students and staff she’s a wonderful part of our staff and
has proven she will go above and beyond in whatever you ask her I’m so happy she
is someone I see every day okay all right hi I’m Jenny Amundsen our president of
Rochester Public School Foundation so one of the missions of the Rochester
Public School Foundation is to is staff recognition and appreciation and this is
a wonderful way to do it special thanks goes to Pasquale pizza for helping to
provide a gift card for one lucky winner so I have numbers here and if someone so
number four I’m Ellen Sandburg from century and we will get a gift card to
her 3.03 2018-2019 school board committee
assignment updates board members and the updates that like to provide direct
marvin literally the superintendent and i think all of the board members were
honored to attend graduations during the last several weeks some bigger and some
smaller so we saw each other out and around especially mr. Munoz was sort of
ubiquitous that means everywhere so but he’s a tech guy so but two in particular
that I was able to go to one was the ALC graduation alternative Learning Center
which was a wonderful way to see some kids who have struggled in a different
kind of setting six it’s raining it’s kind of dramatic but it was one up and running reconvene at 6:17 p.m.
and director Marvin you were in the midst of sharing just hit me like a bolt
of lightning um anyway that the real graduation was wonderful and that alc
graduation was wonderful and both of them I think were really good examples
of how Rochester is really leading the way in terms of having the kinds of
programs that all kinds of young people need and preparing them for life to be
independent and it it just struck me both places how it reinforces our
graduate profile our strategic plan prepare kids not only academically but
also for life so that they can become independent after they’re done with
their education through school district thank you add on to dr. Marvin I did not
go to any graduation to sere but I do appreciate that the district now streams
the high school graduations and I did watch at least one of those so I think
that’s a great opportunity to reach our friends and family across the across the
world so Thank You district for doing now superintendent Mooney oh yes yes I did
mention this Monday morning at the government formed meeting but I just
want to publicly thank the city and the cooperation with graduations at the
Civic Center with everything that was going on downtown I think it went fairly
smoothly you know that additional support out there with traffic and
everything so want to publicly thank them for partnering with us and making
that day go through very very smoothly consent agenda action item does anyone
want any autumn remove four separate consideration second any discussion all
in favor yes would like to recognize the individuals that are retiring how the
first one is Martha Batson er she’s a speech and language pathologists
district-wide retirement they effective at the end of
the day July 5th 2019 she’s been with the district 28 years
Carol Brahm special education paraprofessional at gage elementary her
retirement is affected in the day July 31st 2019 24 years
Christine Hoff special education paraprofessional at John Marshall High
School retirement effective the end of the day August 20th 2019 19 years of
service Sharon Robinson special education paraprofessional at Lincoln
k-8 district-wide school her retirements affect me end of the day August 30th
2019 and 22 years of service and then the last one is Nancy Campbell
elementary lead at the Rochester alternative learning center retirement
effective the end of the day May 31st 2019 and she’s been with the district 12
years would like to thank these individuals for their service to the
district and congratulations on their retirement
when we down our agenda efficient and effective operation 7.01 approval with
the 2019 2020 school district budget briefing item mr. muñoz yes at this time
I’m going to call John Carlson exactly Director of Finance this is a briefing
item just to remind the audience that the board did have a study session last
week to go into much more detail on the budget then what we’re going to present
today so I’ll turn it over to John Thank You Cara Barlow superintendent
bloom yields that’s the school board members today as we’re here to give the
public briefing of the school district budget for the 2019 2020 school year as
mentioned we did study session last week and so this is more a very high-level
review of the budget for the public so background school board must approve a
budget by July 1st so we’re bringing it here today
you can certainly move it to action today if you want to but you can wait
till the next meeting no problem with that and the budget that we’re
presenting in the general fund complies with school board policy so at the end
of next school year we project that we will have greater than 6% unassigned
fund balance on the revenue assumptions within our general fund we assume that
the basic general education aid formula would go up to six thousand four hundred
and thirty eight dollars per pupil Union that was the agreement that the
legislature and the governor came to at the last minute so our budget is built
on a sound base we have worked in there that we have a voter approved referendum
of eight hundred and ninety six dollars per pupil unit local optional for twenty
four and school board approved of 166 we did just get noticed that there was a
lot change and we are gonna need to bring forward to you at our next school
board meeting a resolution to renew that school board referendum of 160 665 by
June 30th and then they’re gonna end up converting that along with a little bit
of the voter approved into local optional so that local optional goes up
to seven twenty four and they reduce the other two categories eventually
basically the school board approved referendum will be going away so it’s
just a retitling of the categories but it doesn’t mean that we’ll gain or lose
any revenue because of that on the expenditure assumptions we do not have a
teachers and principals contract settled for the next school year so that’s going
to be under negotiation in the upcoming school year the teachers contract is
about fifty three percent of our total general fund budgets so that’s some
thing that you know for often our projection there by a percent we could
be off a million dollars on our assumptions so we let’s you know our
biggest deal that’s not confirmed yet and so we’ll be working on that in the
summer here paraprofessionals also do not have a settled contract they worked
this school year without a settled contract our next negotiation with them
is set for July 24th so we hope we come to resolution on that one and then all
of our other groups do have settle contracts for the next school year so we
are able to budget with real people real salaries real benefit projections for
those people most of our contracted services supplies capital expenditure
budgets are either held constant and in some cases they were actually reduced so
we went through as a cabinet we looked at our district-wide budgets we saw a
trend of under spending some of our budget line items and we decided just
reduce our initial budget so that we’re not tying up excess funds there as far
as enhancements that are included with the next year school district budget
will have nine elementary school counselor positions slated we have five
social worker positions three student resiliency specialist positions we are
moving forward with the middle school right fit program similar to the
elementary school right fit program that’s been operating out of Riverside
and then we have the new incubator edu entrepreneurial program as far as
staffing for next year as in the administration area at the top were
pretty much the same teachers in that union group would be going up about 41
positions some of them are the ones I mentioned with the counselors and the
social workers but then there are some other positions in there as well and the
para union group they’d be 11 new FTE and then a lot of our other categories
are about the same so we’ll go from about 2,500 73 FTE up to two thousand
six hundred and thirty-four budgeted FTE so in summary our general fund budget
which is our largest of the funds is 232 million dollars proposed for next year
it is a balanced budget so the revenues are just a little bit greater than our
expenditures in the budget the unassigned fund balance again will
comply with school board policy there is some new revenue in there that is not
included because there were some law changes right at the very end after we
had done all of our budgeting so there will be a little bit additional special
education revenue that’s not in there and there’s the potential for some Safe
Schools revenue as well that is not included in the budget yet we’ll revise
those in the fall and bring those back for your approval in the first revision
and then overall the spending is projected to go up 3.4 percent that’s
based on the 2 percent funding increase and then our student count is going up
about 1.4 percent so I’ll total the budget is very similar to last year it’s
going up mostly due to inflation and additional students just to be clear for
the people who are watching at home we spoke about this at our budget study
session but an explanation of the administrators line which makes it look
like we’re adding three and a half her for administrators but just to be really
clear for those people who you said that was a reclassification of positions yes
so I will just run through that real quick so what we’re doing is we’re
taking two principals on special assignment we’re moving them into that
administrator category so that accounts for two of them and then we are also
asking that one of the people that we let go halftime or let reduce the
position to halftime last year is actually going back up to full-time at
our request and then we are adding the middle school associate principal for
the middle school right fit program so and there was one other position in
there that was a reclassification from the off schedule group into the
administrator group so point well-taken that there’s some shifting and juggling
of positions but the end of the day I were very flat in
what’s happening there thank you director Nathan well I just want to
thank you and all the staff who have worked on this we’ve been getting
updates about this since January and how many versions of the budget did you go
this is version 11 so and that actually was the same number of drafts we did
last year we did 11 last year as well and I also want to encourage anybody
who’s watching this is what the budget book looks like it’s not that thick but
it really is the road map to what people can expect is happening in the district
next year and how we pay for it so thank you that’s correct it’s within the board
Docs eventually then after you approve it we’ll put it out in that transparency
section so it’s linked right from the main page or can be searchable yes and
if anyone wanted a printed copy we’d be more than happy to provide a printed
copy any other questions or comments thank you very 7.02 approval of district led and water
management plan of superintendent muñoz had mentioned earlier this is not an
action item informational just about data’s yes that’s saying Scot Sheridan
executive director of operations and Mike stock coordinator of Health and
Safety will provide this information for us tonight good evening board members I feel good
I’d come back in front of you it’s been a month or so since I had the
opportunity so what i’m here today with mike stock our health and safety
coordinator to go over our lead and water results as you know last year the
Minnesota Legislature created a statute that required us to create a legend
water plan Mike and others facility staff members did create that plan we
brought it to you on June 5th of 2018 last year and it was approved now that
was a it’s a one-time deal there so it’s not something that we have to re-up
every single year at least per the statute however because you approved
that plan we thought we would like to know the results of what’s our testing
has been doing we’ve been doing the testing prior to 2018 as well but I just
felt it was valuable to bring it to you to let you know what our current testing
schedule showed for the buildings that we tested this year and just go over to
what our plan is as you know we test 50 buildings every year so every building
gets tested once every five years and that’s well within our plan that would
that you approved last June so this year we mike who coordinates this works with
IE Aiea is our environmental company that we hired to conduct the testing and
they did 272 samples at six buildings the six buildings that were on the list
to get tested this year and from all those samples that we took only nine of
them were above what our threshold that we set in our plan which was 15 parts
per billion now the EPA recommends action at 20 parts per billion but they
did modify that a little bit this year I’ll let Mike explain
that modification is but everytime that we see anything over 15 parts per
billion we do take action those particular sinks or faucets or wherever
that lead source would potentially be coming from if you want to touch on how
we came up with our 2 to 15 and the type of action plans that up until I believe
it was October they came over kind of more stringent set of action levels
between two parts per billion and 15 or excuse me 20 we have always been a
little bit more stringent went to 15 to where we took action took that fixture
out of service so right now we are studying anything between 2 and 15 to
see what the you know what the possibilities of changing that fixture
are taking it out of service working with the site staff and administrators
for need on that particular fixture and then also trying to encourage our
students and staff to use more filter drinking fountains in the buildings that
they they’re tested as well but most the time they test low to no LED because
they’re filtered so and so when we discovered the nine that
were above the threshold they were immediately taken out of service and we
have several remedies that we do we we determine if we even need them anymore
if we don’t we just take them completely out or if we can put a line filter in
that would take the let out we might do that depending on what type of fixture
it is or right now we have some still bagged that we haven’t determined what
we’re going to do with them yet but they are not being used at our sites just a
quick question like time of day when are these tests usually taken or conducted
time of day day week that’s a maybe late to maximum usage that’s a good question
so actually that changed to an October with the recommendations what they used
to have us do is make sure the fixture was flushed within 24 hours of the
sample but they didn’t want it used within the last 8 hours of the samples
so they wanted to make sure that it hadn’t been a stagnant fixture that just
doesn’t get used in your building and now we’re taking a sample now the
recommendation in what the testing criteria is is that it’s a first draw so
they sample it in the morning before any use so I a was on the ground at 6 a.m.
and our buildings taking these water samples at these fixtures so the data if
you look back from year-to-year they’re a little bit different as opposed to the
new sampling method but it’s giving a real time to where if you were to walk
in a building and take that first drink out of the faucet that’s kind of Thank You director Nathan
so I know that it’s in the plan but could you just speak to how you let
parents know about the testing and the findings well along with the board
having it on board docks the intent is to have a method to have
that out kind of been in communication with Heather and working with a
communication piece so the parents can check the fixtures for say their
classroom that is another part of the recommendation by the Department of how
to in progress any other questions thank you very much 7.03 approval of 2019
district-wide radon testing and results informational item mr. muñoz yes Scott
and Mike are gonna go over the radon testing results for us
good evening the important members good evening thanks for entertaining me on
that as you know Rochester Public Schools we voluntarily tests the for
radon in our buildings we aren’t mandated currently sachet orally to have
to do it but we do it just because we want a safe and secure environment for
our staff students and Mike is in charge of doing a coordinating all that as well
and we utilize the Minnesota Department of Health in the United States EPA
standards of for Pikul Curie’s per liter as our threshold now if it’s the same
standard that you would use in your home as well for those that have tested your
homes and maybe got a radon reduction system in your home and but we use that
same standard here in our school district as you know our buildings are
rather large and spaced out and they’re built all across the city and all
different types of soil type of situations and so you get a lot of
different potential for radon and so the plan that we have in place for this is
we test each building once every five years
– similar to what we do for the lead and IEA that company that he described
earlier is the company that does the initial tests and then if we get any
readings that are above the four pickle Curie’s per liter then Mike takes it
even a step further and he contacts the Minnesota Department of Health to get a
48-hour test it’s a special system that we can put in and it rates the air
quality for 48 straight hours shows the up the highs and lows what changes when
their air handlers come on when they’re off and all that had them for the
occupied times in the building which is the most important part we understand
that the when our air handlers go off at five o’clock at night person or gist
–ax that the tendency is for potential those unwanted types of gases might
begin to build up but when then when those systems kicked back on at 4:30 or
5 o’clock in the morning it tends to draw it out and that’s what it showed in
our at the 48 hour test as well so during the occupied times is the
critical piece to make sure that it maintains that level below before pickup
curious perlier thanks for the coaching on that Mike but we did test I believe
was seven buildings and two of them Churchill and Willow Creek required us
to get that 48-hour test in there just to see what was going on and once that
system was in place at each of those buildings and we reviewed the data we
were able to mitigate it without having to spend any money with a radon
mitigation system so that remained below that for pickup URIs during the occupied
hours and I just want to ask the question so I
can use it for pickle Curie’s but in terms of staff who may enter our
buildings on the weekend any concerns there or not necessarily the the rooms
that came back elevated were mainly storerooms or secondary rooms off of
classrooms although they still came back high so we still looked into them and
tested them but even that they showed our systems worked per se but also if if
there’s activities in our buildings then the buildings are set to turn on and the
systems are to turn on rather than just a random staff member showing up on a
Saturday we wouldn’t know that but in these particular cases I would think
over a long period of time our systems are set to run thank you
very much 7.0 for acceptance of bits for the Bishop elementary dehumidification
project briefie Nevada mr. muñoz yes Scott will brief us on this and joined
by Bill Burt coordinator of construction services and Jason wood house from the
CDW I’m just kind of want to set this up a little bit we’ve spent a lot of time
researching this and you know that Bishop is one of the buildings that
potentially would have a new school in three years but we felt especially based
on the last two years the issues that we were dealing with there that we couldn’t
ask the staff and students of that school to wait three years until the new
school was built so we asked to look at all the different options that that it
could address it during this next three years and the recommendation will bring
to you tonight is the cheapest of all the different options we looked into and
I know there’s the potential concern about putting money into the school that
you’re eventually going to tear down when you rebuild a new school but we
felt that we had to do something to address it for the next three years and
like I said this is the cheapest we could come up with to address the issue
and the bids that come in a little bit higher than we anticipated but with all
the stuff that’s going on in our area and the fact that we’re we needed to get
the parts here brother quickly so we can get it installed yep this the school
year for example we were not able to have summer school and Bishop because
it’s it’s just way too hot and humid in there so those students have to go to
out in Hills for summer school because their facilities not available on I
dunno board members for the last couple years
received some feedback from parents the temperatures in their beginning the
school year or the end of the school year so what we’re going to present to
tonight is what we believe is the best option that we have to to address the
issue for the next three years so I’ll turn it over Scott Thank You
superintendent good evening Kim board members the this
is a really difficult decision and this is why we’re bringing it to you the
board members to make a decision and we superintendent to reiterate what he said
that it’s we’re in kind of a tough spot here however a little background back in
2008 there was an indoor air quality project scheduled for Bishop and it was
partially completely there was a 2.8 million dollar project and within the
original design of that project back in OE it was the dehumidification project
but that project was cut from that project the project that piece of it was
cut from the project back in 2008 so it was not completed we had Bishop on our
10-year plan that you approved in June of 2017 to do an indoor air quality
project we estimated that project fee about 5.5 million dollars and our plan
was to complete it in 2019 in March of 2018 crw architects who Jason works for
was hired to design the overall project and then in November of 2018 you
approved the general obligation bonds for bambor Valley project and also
Bishop among some other projects that was about 25 point five million we
continued moving along with the full design of the project and in June of
2018 when the task force was formed to look at capacity issues through their
work they determine around March of 2019 that
one of the best options would be addition that you’re familiar with where
we build a new building on the bishop site and then deconstruct the old
building so that put us into a bit of a tailspin trying to decide what to do as
the superintendent was saying so we had crw architects Jason in particular look
at other ways that we could temporarily install a dehumidification system in
exuded a building in order to alleviate the concerns that have been expressed by
the staff and students and the parents of that building and like the
superintendent said the building’s offline during the summer because you
just can’t use it because it’s so hot yeah it’s a great neighborhood out there
and Country Club Manor it’s kind of a stand-alone area a lot of walkability
yet when I were busing them all the way to Holden Hills 4 summers ago and it
just has a case in point I was out at bishop last Friday on the last school
day it was 88 degrees outside it was about that inside the building luckily
it was kind of more of a non instructional day you know with the
popsicles and everything but the popsicles didn’t last very long inside
their building because it was really really warm and it’s a consistent theme
it’s been that way since I’ve been here with the consistent theme so Jason
looked at like I just like I stated three different options to find out
what’s the most viable long one would be to put DX cooling units on the roof of
the building plug them into the normal systems to benefit to doing that was the
potential of the reuse of those DX cooling units these mechanical units
that are helped to dehumidifier building we could take those out and use them at
other buildings that currently have DX units if those systems start failing
that’s potential that’s not a guarantee that we could do that and those
mechanical pieces in that portion of the project those DX units are about a
hundred thousand dollars of the price another option that Jason looked at was
the putting window air but in simplistic terms put window airs in each of the
classrooms there’s 22 classrooms it would require probably two window
airs in each classroom good after run power to each of those you have to have
ventilation systems and they’d be loud and we determined that probably wasn’t
the best system it was actually estimated to be more than what the first
option was then the third option was a hybrid system with the DX units not
necessarily put up in the roof but they’re installed in the room so I think
correct me if I’m wrong with that but they’re installed individually in the
rooms requires some ducting and they would ventilate outside and the release
of the the fluids would go right down into the ground outside and required all
the electrical enhancements as well again so we came up with the first
option and as you know we push to get it a time line out there I went out for bid
we only got one bid back and that was from Knutson construction for five
hundred and twenty five thousand dollars our initial estimate that Jason thought
it could have been was about three hundred and thirty five to three hundred
forty thousand dollars to complete but like the superintendent said I mean
we’re in crunch time here a lot of mitigating factors are raising that
price because of the labor that’s gonna be required to get it done in the timely
manner prior to start of school so it’s a tough
decision I understand that and that’s why you’re on the board and we’re
bringing it forward we’re here for the safety and the welfare of our staff and
students and we just wanted to do our due diligence to present you this option
and let you make the determination and if I missed anything or forgot anything
feel free Thank You director Xu sir
so you’d mentioned this was potentially part of our projects in 2008 but because
of budget concerns it was cut as the school ever had air conditioning no it
does have a little bit of air conditioning in the office area and the
media sign a request to add something to a building we want gone in three years
I’m sorry so the request is really to add something to a billion that it’s
never had that’s hopefully gonna be gone in three years correct yeah and as much
as I don’t like that idea when you’re a little kid or when you’re a staff
working with little kids and you have three or five or ten weeks of
unbelievable heat it’s miserable I mean learning just doesn’t happen I
wish there were some other alternative but it’s almost inhumane to ask the kids
and the staff to continue working under those circumstances and before I pass to
director Edmondson so and I’m glad that director Marvin just mentioned that so
is it fair to say that the learning environment is impacted well let me
rephrase that it’s the learning environment impacted based on
environmental based on environmental I’m not an expert
in the classroom portion of it but I have walked through Bishop for instance
last spring when they had multiple fans blowing everything off the walls and the
power suction going down the halls and the roar of the the fans and I can’t in
my mind see how that wouldn’t affect the ability to learn because in that just
the heat itself that’s in that building I mean that southern exposure it has a
southern exposure on four eleven of the classrooms which I take direct sunlight
there are a few trees along that South Side but a lot of the like I said there
are 11 classrooms the office happens to be on them north side and it happens to
have air conditioning but the rest of the classrooms do not I wouldn’t I’ll
give an example maybe not directly connected to instruction but we were a
little toasty in the conference room today during cabinet and you all been in
there a few times and we were in there for several hours and I mean we got work
done but it was it was difficult to get beyond that and just do the work that we
need to do I mean we had my door open and it was just a challenge director
Edmondson workman and then so you said the potential is there to
resell the units but it’s not a guarantee what kinds of factors would be
affecting whether or not they could be resold and then or we used sorry and
then and then if they couldn’t be reused could they be sold to some place else
who could use them I will let builder Jason if you’re okay answering that but
just as a preface to that now all our buildings utilize DX cooling most of
them use the chiller system or some of them use AI systems there’s a relatively
few of our buildings that use the DX code this happens to be one of the
buildings it does but as far as the viability of selling or reusing yeah it
all depends on the mechanical system at the building if it matches up with the
size of what these would be so like Scott said there’s probably other
commercial buildings out there that these could work for it’s hard to say
how potentially you could resell them but cost wise I don’t know what you get
back versus what you put in but probably in the new schools you’re going to have
a different mechanical system that’s more efficient and more of a central
plant like your schools have um yeah I may ask a couple questions or
should I trying to remember okay um so you mentioned that the bishop office
and the media center are currently air-conditioned are those do those air
conditioners do they take 110 outlets then are they 220 or not they’re they’re
part of the rooftop units that serve those spaces okay so they’re not like
the window units so do window UI I mean I suppose what would you do go to a big
box store and buy big window units then for those those classrooms and wouldn’t
I mean if a homeowner were to buy big air conditioners like that that weren’t
central air or a number of them would they have to be rewiring their
electrical for you know different amperage different you know 220 instead
of 110 do they in other words do they select can they plug into the wall I
mean I’m interested in in what factors would have to what fact what’s required
to actually have those be used in a classroom that’s different from a normal
I think it’s the amount of units you get into if you have two to three per
classroom increasing the electrical load on the building which requires that be
upgraded as well as you have to modify all the windows systems to accept those
units so there’s work with that and then the Scott mentioned to the noise of
those units are always the best and I think what you’d get out of those units
as far as cool air versus that central system through the rooftop isn’t an
equal either and then masks fun one question
so aside from being uncomfortable are there any adverse health effects
that we know about that’s an interesting question when you have a building that’s
enclosed with the high humidity for extended periods of time if Mike stock
was here he would tell you that the potential for mold growth or the
breakdown of the materials inside the structure of the building is is higher
than it would be if there was if the environment of that building was
maintained at the proper level and that’s my uninformed personal opinion
but you have a couple of our material that might support that so yeah has any
of that ever been identified at Bishop so since we’ve not had air cooling
before not to you not to my knowledge no okay so it’s a possibility but not not
that we know correct right there sooner than directin even to dr. Marvins point
is the the summer months when I’d be potential for summer school there be
sure the Hat unbearable months what are the costs and you may or may not know of
the busting of the students for you know if we didn’t have to bus the students
any guess or what their operational savings and no transportation would be
well I know that for routing it’s about three hundred and forty dollars a day
and I think actually Jeff cappers and I discussed this I think we came up with
about fifteen thousand dollars for the summer school schedule which is about 15
days because I think he said about three routes so that would be about a thousand
dollars 15 days fifteen thousand dollars so would the
route still exist if they’re going to marry bishop no they would just walk
they would water get summer school we don’t yeah normally provide
transportation but we do because they can’t go to their neighbor at school
correct so if we installed it this summer ready for the beginning of the
school year when we get three school years being optimistic about the
referendum would we get three school years of use out of them before the new
school was constructed so that’s a cost I’m doing my math right about $175,000 a
year to provide this upgrade to the environment provision yeah it would be
the 525 divided by three so I have been efficient in the first week of school in
the gym and as Scott walked by me I said oh my gosh what is going on in this
building it was horrible and I was just there for a few hours so my personal
experience do you know because I know that you have tried to mitigate mitigate
this as best you could with the fans and such do you have a ballpark cost of what
that’s cost us per year to get the fans in there running down the hallway and in
the gym and probably I’m sure there’s at least one fan or not if not more in
every classroom I know it’s not gonna be five hundred ninety five thousand
dollars but no I don’t know if I could even venture to say there’s a lot of
fans absolutely if I may it just made my power things where we’re using we’re
already having to use resources to solve to come up with a solution and it’s not
even a very good solution in my humble opinion and i i i do understand our
difficulty making a decision on this knowing that this building may or may
not come online in three years and we all know and a superintendent said
working in heat you know it’s difficult and
perhaps that’s because we live sort of privileged lives and like to be in
air-conditioning and cool but you know I guess I would posit the opposite if this
was a building that was not warm enough in the winter we probably would not
blink about saying we have to adjust the temperature for our staff and students
safety safety learning and comfort so I thank you for doing your due diligence
I’m looking at all the options and sorry you didn’t we there was not a magic
solution for this but for those who may be listening the explanation of funding
coming out of long-term facility maintenance can’t then be used for
another teacher so somebody can’t say I’d rather have a smaller class size
because yes this is a different funding source absolutely correct it comes out
of one silo and I can only be used for certain things to take care of our
buildings as far as not repairs necessarily but the deterioration of our
buildings to fix that and are there monies presently available
in that one funding source yes is this the last Elementary School in the
district to not have air conditioning Bamber and bishop yes and Bamber is
being completed right now yes any additional question so I really want to
be positive about the referendum but supposing it doesn’t pass would any of
the other indoor air quality at pieces of this be able to be done later that
we’re not doing now absolutely it’s already designed I’m
sure Jason would have to update his design but once if we decide that we
that’s the plan that we’re gonna move forward to complete the project then we
we already have the funds available to to put the new flooring in and new doors
the plumbing all that that is not being done with this so that’s good points
that she’s bringing up that I mean we’re all confident that we don’t have to deal
with that but let’s say we’re not gonna rebuild Bishop by adding this piece it’s
part of the plan that we had a year ago so it’s not like oh now we have to throw
that out and do something totally different it’s it’s part of the piece of
the crime it was a permanent solution for that project so okay unlike window
airs would be just just to follow up so I guess what I was getting at is there
isn’t there isn’t a critical order that things have to be done in for this
project like once you have this the coolers installed then you can still do
the rest of the project without undoing everything you’ve already done is that
do I have that right correct okay and it’s safe to say that that’s how you
conduct business you always see things in a orderly planned fashion and never
end up having have to redo or tear something you just well I I think I
think my point was of you know if you have you do this first when you do this
second and this third and say this piece was third in line and if it was
dependent on one and two being done or if one and two couldn’t be done because
number three was already done that’s kind of what I was getting it so it is
it is a more of a standalone piece of it that we wouldn’t have incurred
necessarily a huge additional expense to complete the project if we need to right
correct we want to be stewards of the taxpayer money that’s our primary goal
every time you look at these projects but we’re not going to just abandon
Bishop for the next three years either if they need a painting for some reason
or if the flooring is failing we’re gonna repair the flooring because it’s
for the students and staff that’s who our customers are if you’re gonna get
this done where would you have to start the work you’re gonna get it done by
next fall tomorrow yesterday as soon as possible I see him that time line that
you’re looking to get the shop drawings done by the 14th so should the board be
inclined would you be interested in us moving this to action tonight
that’s your inclination that would be appropriate yes I know um I guess my
first feeling about this was gosh that’s – half a million dollars that we might
not have to spend but on further consideration we had already approved a
huge part of the product or the project already so it’s not like we’re doing the
entire five point was at five point five million project dollar amount you know
we’re only doing a piece of that so that our students and our staff can have a
better learning and working yes well that then raises the question
if we have previously approved this then what action then are you asking of us
tonight okay portion a the project yeah yeah
work to action second any discussion all in favor of moving to action please
signify by saying aye he had resolved at the school board of
Independent School District 535 approves the bid from Canadian construction in
the amount of five hundred and twenty five thousand dollars for the for the
dehumidification project for Bishop elementary school approval
discussion I think it’s really good point especially the last time I checked
for work one pointed out that this is necessarily a half million dollar
project it’s a four and a half million dollar reduced project very different
perspective when you look at it that way it’s an excellent point yes so we’re
basically approving a reduction of four and a half million dollars here that’s
good any additional questions all in favor opposed okay thank you
thank you thank you 7.05 closed session property action item
pursuant to Minnesota Statutes 13 d point oh five subdivision three I make a
motion to move into closed session to discuss potential real estate discussion
all in favor so moved o session it’s 7:04 p.m. meetings
reconvened at 741 mr. chair I moved to amend the agenda to add the following
item approval of first addendum to the purchase agreement for the purchase of
land to construct a future school a second discussion yeah
just like to for the audience for the public this is just giving us another 60
days and the rationale for that is to wait for the results of our traffic
study and we’ll provide a little more information for us about the potential
infrastructure that we would have to do around the site so once we get those
results we can better make a decision all in favor be it resolved that the school board of
Independence good as our 535 that serve I approve of the first addendum to the
purchase agreement with Jerris LLC of approval second discussion all in favor Kerry’s meeting adjourned at 7:42 p.m.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *