Education in Canada: an overview of the primary and secondary school system

[ Music ] Everyone wants a good education
for their children. In Canada, school is mandatory
for all children between the
ages of about 6 and 18. Provinces and territories are
responsible for delivering
education, so the details about the way it
is managed can vary across the
country. Education is paid for through
taxes. There is no direct fee to
register your child for a public
school. Some parents may decide to
register their children in
private schools, which they have to pay for. Parents also have the right to
teach their children at home. This is called home schooling. Regulations vary between
provinces and territories, so be sure to check with your
provincial or territorial
Ministry of Education. [ Music ] The basic levels of schooling
are called elementary, middle and secondary in most
provinces. Many very young children attend
preschool before they enter
elementary school. But most children usually begin
school when they are between the
ages of 4 and 6. English and French are spoken in
communities all across the
country. Parents have the right to have
their child educated in either
English or French. French- or English-language
options may differ, depending on the community where
you choose to live. A bit of research will indicate
which language is most widely
spoken there and what schooling options are
available. School starts in the morning and
finishes in the afternoon. The exact schedule may vary,
depending on the school. Students go to school from
Monday to Friday. The school year typically begins
in late August or early
September and ends in June, with breaks
during the year. Schools can offer additional, or
extra-curricular, activities in
which students can participate during and
outside of regular school hours. These activities help children
build leadership, physical and
social skills. Secondary or high school begins
at grade 9 in most areas. By the time they complete their
schooling, students will have
received 12 years of education. They receive a secondary school
diploma when they finish. Contact your local school board
to get more information and to enrol your child in
school. You will need to provide your
child’s birth certificate, a proof of guardianship or
custody, a proof of residency, a record of vaccinations and a
contact in case of emergency. Many schools have settlement
support workers to help you and your child understand how
the education system works and
to adjust to school in Canada. And you can always refer to our
website for additional

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *